Cancelling viewfinder review image

Hello

I am new to Sony mirrorless (after 30years as a Nikon SLR/DSLR user) and am finding one specific function rather irritating.

Honestly it’s just one...so I am reasonably accepting of new methods to be learned. 

I am not sure if there is a setting I can change but if there is .....please can someone help?

I don’t normally chimp.  I have got the auto review switched off on the Sony already!
But while testing out my new A7 iii with a suite of new lenses I am obviously playing back the captured images more frequently to evaluate the exposure etc.

The problem is.......

When I lift the camera up to the eye to restart shooting after being in playback mode, whilst the rear screen goes off (from the eye detect function) there is still a preview of the last reviewed image in the viewfinder .....the camera is still in playback mode, unless I first touch the shutter button.

Is there a way of getting the eye detect to cancel the playback mode or a menu setting for the playback to auto switch off after a time period........like the auto review  ?

I appreciate retouching the shutter was also necessary on DSLR cameras but the difference is.... I could still track the subject and compose the shot before needing to touch the shutter.... as the viewfinder was always live.  I never touched the shutter immediately after finishing playback,  for fear of shooting a picture of my feet! I always raised the camera to the eye first.

This delay is particularly annoying when photographing action shots or in this instance, birds in flight.
I take a shot ....look at the rear screen..... go back to the viewfinder and I see a photo of where the bird WAS not where it now is. I have to clear the screen with my index finger and go hunt the bird and reframe again. It’s amazing how much this slows up the process.

I would have thought having the eye detect to switch off playback mode (as you have obviously stopped looking at the rear screen) would be a sensible step to speed up the shooting mode  re-initialisation ?

Thoughts/Suggestions?

Thanks

To be honest your problem seems to be related to your old DSLR-habits. The viewfinder of a mirrorless camera has much more uses than just a viewfinder.

10 hours ago, Wolfpack said:

I would have thought having the eye detect to switch off playback mode (as you have obviously stopped looking at the rear screen)

When outdoors I frequently use the viewfinder to review images. The viewfinder is much more contrasty and bright than the rear screen when in a sunny environment. I often get frowned upon when pointing my camera in any random direction, eye against the viewfinder, seemingly mesmerized by nothing in particular.

As far as I know, what you want doesn't exist. I suggest you make a habit of half-pressing the shutter as soon as you're done reviewing. The motion of moving the camera to your eye will be plenty long for the camera to get back into shooting mode. You'll never again experience a delay.

12 hours ago, Pieter said:

To be honest your problem seems to be related to your old DSLR-habits. The viewfinder of a mirrorless camera has much more uses than just a viewfinder.

When outdoors I frequently use the viewfinder to review images. The viewfinder is much more contrasty and bright than the rear screen when in a sunny environment. I often get frowned upon when pointing my camera in any random direction, eye against the viewfinder, seemingly mesmerized by nothing in particular.

As far as I know, what you want doesn't exist. I suggest you make a habit of half-pressing the shutter as soon as you're done reviewing. The motion of moving the camera to your eye will be plenty long for the camera to get back into shooting mode. You'll never again experience a delay.

Thanks Pieter

I suspect you are right on all counts.
I do see the advantage of using the viewfinder to review especially in strong sunlight.

In the a850 and a900 manuals, it specifically states, to remove the preview (which is on the back panel on the a850 and a900), not in the viewfinder), press the release button half way.  But you do that after you've taken any picture anyway -- to reset the back panel  So you get used to it -- after a bit.

On 4/6/2021 at 4:36 PM, Pieter said:

I don't know man, I had some similar DSLR-habits and I never experienced anything like it.