robinA6100

New Sony A6100 hot/stuck pixels

Hi,

after receiving my first brand new Sony APS-C, the A6100, I was really pleased with everything the camera offers.

Unfortunately, after taking some long exposures at night, I noticed a red hot/stuck pixel right in the center of the live preview (both display and viewfinder). The camera automatically remapped its sensor the next day and this issue seems to be gone now.

I do wonder, is it normal to have such sensor issues after two days of use for a brand new A6100? Even if this is mitigated by sensor remapping, would you expect further sensor problems in the long run? After all, I could return this copy of the A6100 but I would like to avoid it if possible.

Thanks for your help!

Cheers

Robin

I think it's fairly normal: Sony cameras are programmed to map hot pixels about once a month. I occasionally notice some hot pixels but they're always gone after a remapping procedure. Never had any real issues and given the frequency of the procedure I guess it's part of the sensor tech and mitigated appropriately. Likely works this way for other camera brands as well as most of them use Sony sensors (and those not made by Sony likely suffer the same issue).

Posted (edited)

Thanks Pieter, from other photographers I have also received similar comments. Then it seems to be something that I don't have to worry about for now, as some hot pixels are only a question of time. 

Edited by robinA6100

Forgive me for not recalling exact details ... though is this resolved with that trick of setting the clock ahead a couple months turning off the camera and hoping it will do an autoshutter for a remap?  Or something like that?

I'm from the dino days of using erasers on sensors ... 🤨

edit: was thinking about the clock trick for a short term fix on the spot

Edited by jmc

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• 1. Yes.  C1 setting is under Camera 2->Custom Operation1 (8/9)->Custom Key->Top.  Zoom option is under menu #17. 2. Yes (I'm assuming by "water-gauge" you mean the level indicator).  EVF display settings are under Camera 2->Display/Auto Review1 (6/9)->Finder.  There will be a check box list, check Level.  When the EVF is active press the Disp button on the back wheel to cycle through the display settings. 3. No. Too bad Sony doesn't make the menu system update-able
    • Got my A7S III yesterday, it's amazing all around, being able to AFC with the sigma mc 11 and canon lenses while recording was HUGE,  and didn't know it since everyone on youtube were trying on native lenses.   Only think that has bugged me a bit is that I went to film a wedding today, and from 750 video files at least 15 or them are vertical (1078x1920) not sure if this was because of having it on the strap and starting to record before time or something..   Does someone kno
    • How is it not really 4k if a crop is involved? 4k only needs 8.3 MP's, so the 12 MP sensor of the A7Siii has pixels to spare. This also relates to Chrissies point: in full-sensor readout the A7Siii downsamples from 4240 by 2385 pixels (10.1 MP) to 3840 by 2160 pixels (8.3 MP). In 120p-mode it reads directly from 3840 by 2160 pixels, hence the 10% crop (1 - 3840/4240 = 9.4%). So yes, it uses about 18% less sensor area in 120p than in 60p but still uses real 4k input.
    • Measure twice and cut wrong is more my style! I think I'd prefer the manuals if they came on paper, but age, and the sheer amount of stuff that machines do these days, has robbed me of much of the pleasure of ploughing through the entire thing.
    • This is good to read, i have order the 70-180 and it should arrive this week. I have read nothing but positive reports so far so hope it lives up to expectations. I will use it for portraits, landscapes and some low light sports so hoping its up to the task !
  • Topics