New Sony A6100 hot/stuck pixels

Hi,

after receiving my first brand new Sony APS-C, the A6100, I was really pleased with everything the camera offers.

Unfortunately, after taking some long exposures at night, I noticed a red hot/stuck pixel right in the center of the live preview (both display and viewfinder). The camera automatically remapped its sensor the next day and this issue seems to be gone now.

I do wonder, is it normal to have such sensor issues after two days of use for a brand new A6100? Even if this is mitigated by sensor remapping, would you expect further sensor problems in the long run? After all, I could return this copy of the A6100 but I would like to avoid it if possible.

Thanks for your help!

Cheers

Robin

I think it's fairly normal: Sony cameras are programmed to map hot pixels about once a month. I occasionally notice some hot pixels but they're always gone after a remapping procedure. Never had any real issues and given the frequency of the procedure I guess it's part of the sensor tech and mitigated appropriately. Likely works this way for other camera brands as well as most of them use Sony sensors (and those not made by Sony likely suffer the same issue).

• 2 weeks later...

Forgive me for not recalling exact details ... though is this resolved with that trick of setting the clock ahead a couple months turning off the camera and hoping it will do an autoshutter for a remap?  Or something like that?

I'm from the dino days of using erasers on sensors ... ?

edit: was thinking about the clock trick for a short term fix on the spot

Edited by jmc