100-400 GM on A7III

SAW

Hi,

I'm after a zoom for my A7III currently only have primes up to 90mm but need more reach. I'll be using it for a bit of everything though anything from my dog running around out on walks, wildlife and some sports (kitesurfing) and I'll probably use the 1.4x teleconverter for the extra reach on the sports and wildlife. 

Is anyone using this set up for these situations how are you finding it ?

I was going to go for a 70-200mm f/4 and maybe the 200-600mm but this will cost me slightly more plus the 200-600 will be much harder to travel with on a plane so I think the 100-400 GM is my best option ?

Thanks.

Have you considered the Sigma 100-400 which is about to be released? It's less than half the price of the GM and based on the reviews it's optically quite similar. Afaik it hasn't been verified yet if it's compatible with Sonys 1.4× extender though.

Wildlife fotografy sounds like mostly low-light for me, for which the a7 iii is certainly better suited than my a9. That said, please see my earlier post on the 100400gm plus 2.0tc combo.

I would expect kitesurfing to take place mostly in well-lit circumstances, so your odds at getting decent shots would improve. In both cases, I'd recommend the use of a sturdy tripod, to control the effect of hand shake at long focal reaches.

7 hours ago, Pieter said:

Have you considered the Sigma 100-400 which is about to be released? It's less than half the price of the GM and based on the reviews it's optically quite similar. Afaik it hasn't been verified yet if it's compatible with Sonys 1.4× extender though.

I'd prefer to stay with native lenses. I've only ever used a Sigma with one of my old Canon's and didn't like it.

2 hours ago, SAW said:

I'd prefer to stay with native lenses.

Valid argument if that's what you value. Bear in mind though that the DN (= Designed Native) Sigma lenses perform extremely well on Sony bodies, likely much better than they did on your old Canon. Be sure to check Dustin Abbotts thorough review: he compares it head-to-head to the GM on several aspects. Since you mention cost as an aspect in your trade-off it would be a waste to discard the Sigma purely based on a gut feeling.

https://dustinabbott.net/2020/06/sigma-100-400mm-f5-6-3-dn-os-review/