Sony A7III Night timelapses with built-in intervalometer

With Firmware 3.0, the α7R III and α7 III (as well as the Sony α6400) now have a built-in timelapse intervalometer. Here are some tips to get the camera set up for making a timelapse using the built-in controls. ... To get your camera ready to shoot a timelapse, start by accessing the Internal Intervalometer.

On 11/4/2021 at 11:30 AM, namoshare said:

With Firmware 3.0, the α7R III and α7 III (as well as the Sony α6400) now have a built-in timelapse intervalometer. Here are some tips to get the camera set up for making a timelapse using the built-in controls. ... To get your camera ready to shoot a timelapse, start by accessing the Internal Intervalometer. shareit vidmate app

There’s a lot of trial and error in making a timelapse. By definition, you’re capturing scenes where the light and composition is in flux. And of course, that’s part of the allure. 

• 2 months later...

Yes it's disappointing but 2022 now and still nothing. It was so with the previous models as well using the Playmemories App. Hoped it would have been resolved with the build in timer.
Must not be so difficult and don't know why they limit the long exposure. For normal "day to night" it works very well (with city lights) but not from day to really dark situations. Tried all the automatic programs from Shutter Priority, Aperture Priority to Program.
Should not be too difficult to solve this problem. Maybe they limited the longer exposures or/and higher iso to avoid overexposed city lights ??
Don't know, understand the idea but we should have the possibility to choose to overwrite the limit.

The proposed workaround with the exposure compensation could be a solution or going to manual at some moment (30 minutes after sunset or so). Hate also to touch the camera in order to avoid camera movements (certainly with longer lenses). For all the other situations (less extreme) it works very well and don't need to do it manual  or use any extra gadget.

Edited by EDBR

On 1/7/2022 at 1:32 AM, EDBR said:

Yes it's disappointing but 2022 now and still nothing. It was so with the previous models as well using the Playmemories App. Hoped it would have been resolved with the build in timer.
Must not be so difficult and don't know why they limit the long exposure. For normal "day to night" it works very well (with city lights) but not from day to really dark situations. Tried all the automatic programs from Shutter Priority, Aperture Priority to Program.
Should not be too difficult to solve this problem. Maybe they limited the longer exposures or/and higher iso to avoid overexposed city lights ??
Don't know, understand the idea but we should have the possibility to choose to overwrite the limit.

The proposed workaround with the exposure compensation could be a solution or going to manual at some moment (30 minutes after sunset or so). Hate also to touch the camera in order to avoid camera movements (certainly with longer lenses). For all the other situations (less extreme) it works very well and don't need to do it manual  or use any extra gadget.

Does anyone know if this affects all recent Sony cameras (a7siii, a7riv, a9i/ii)?

I did not have this issue with the playmemories time lapse app on a7/s/ii/sii/rii, only on the a7iii with Sony’s new built in intervalometer. I still wish there was a way to make the playmemories shoot more than 990 frames, but 990 good frames are better than 3000 bad ones.

I did purchase a Nikon Z5 awhile back to see how the intervalometer worked on it, and was pleasantly surprised to find it would auto expose just fine to 30s/iso6400. I just don’t really want to switch to Nikon Z after getting all of my full frame lenses in E-Mount (and I don’t really want to use the Z-Mount to E-Mount adapter).

• 1 month later...
On 1/11/2022 at 4:37 AM, thewoj said:

Does anyone know if this affects all recent Sony cameras (a7siii, a7riv, a9i/ii)?

I did not have this issue with the playmemories time lapse app on a7/s/ii/sii/rii, only on the a7iii with Sony’s new built in intervalometer. I still wish there was a way to make the playmemories shoot more than 990 frames, but 990 good frames are better than 3000 bad ones.

I did purchase a Nikon Z5 awhile back to see how the intervalometer worked on it, and was pleasantly surprised to find it would auto expose just fine to 30s/iso6400. I just don’t really want to switch to Nikon Z after getting all of my full frame lenses in E-Mount (and I don’t really want to use the Z-Mount to E-Mount adapter).

That happens to my A7iii and A7R4a

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

With Firmware 3.0, the α7R III and α7 III (as well as the Sony α6400) now have a built-in timelapse intervalometer. Here are some tips to get the camera set up for making a timelapse using the built-in controls. There's a lot of trial and error in making a timelapse.

To get your camera ready to shoot a timelapse, start by accessing the Internal Intervalometer. Go to Camera Tab1, Screen 4 where you’ll see Shoot Mode/Drive2 and select Intvl. Shoot Func. (note, we’re using an α7R III with Firmware 3.0 so depending on your camera and firmware, the exact menu screens might be a little different). Within the Interval function, first, select Interval Shooting to On. get-vidmate.com  instasave.onl

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...