[A7RII] back buttons malfunctions

Palmer

I have a very strange issue on my 7rII. Sometimes, totally random, some of the buttons on the back switch to other functions without any input. For example, the control wheel buttons up/down and left/right reverse themselves or the cancel button becomes randomly a AF function button. This happens totally random (I noticed that i could be related with hot temperatures, but happened at 10° C too) and is very annoying! I would add that it seems to me that all the buttons do work because after a full reset the buttons usually go back to normal (at least to the factory settings) but a couple of times I had to do multiple reset in order to get it right.

Camera works perfect apart from that.

thank you for any help or advice!

ps: sorry for errors.. posting from Italy.

• 6 months later...

The problem with my A7 rII is still there, a firmware update did not help me.

Problem is: "this problem" does not occur every time, the preview button often does not work when it is cold, and the wheel on the back of the camera also causes problems.

It could well be that it is due to heavy movements, I take my camara with me in a bag on my bike ....
I will offer my camera for repair ...

• 6 months later...
  • 5 months later...
On 2/23/2020 at 7:34 PM, xgibran said:

Having the same problem, my cross buttons (up, down, left right) are assigned randomly to each other. Did anyone find a solution to this?

Same issue. I reset and it's back to normal, but soon after the buttons are reassigned again.

My 7Sii did this. First started by not being able to advance images on review. Then I couldn't navigate the menus horizontally, only vertical input. Reset camera. No change. Then the menus and image review and time zones went absolutely wonky. 

Shipped camera off for repair Aug 8. Returned from repair Aug 18. Cost $522. Under Description of Parts Used: 1) Switch Block Control 2) RL Block.

Repaired previously Dec 2018 for stuck shutter mechanism. Repaired, returned, then discovered the USB port wouldn't recognize remote control. Returned it under warranty service and things were fine but.... Time/Date wouldn't hold after a battery swap. It's as if the internal battery was left out but I decided to live with this aggravation (2 years) because it wasn't as bad as being without the camera for a collective 4 weeks. (Wrong!) Got to where I ran a dummy battery to keep from having to reset the date after the battery swaps which, as any FW50 battery user will attest, are quite often.

Control Wheel / Rear Screen Madness