Thinking I've made a bad decision

Ryan5

Guest Jaf-Photo

A7R is about one thing only, the sensor. With native Sony lenses you will get amazing files from it. More detail than Nikon D810. But the packaging around the sensor is dreadful and adapted lenses can be a lot worse than native lenses.

So if you learn to live with the bad packaging and are willing to spend on native lenses, it's great.

I sold mine.

• 1 month later...

I ended up selling my A7R and lenses. They were just bloody awful. Even at half the price they would be disappointing for shooting anything more animated than landscapes.

I lost a $hitload of money on this but I went back to Nikon with a D810 and I'm getting some great images again. I know that people on here will always extol the virtues of Sony because they own one, but the reality is they are too slow, badly designed expensive cameras.

Best of luck to the Sony owners but I'll be doing my best to warn people off buying any kind of Sony camera in the future.

I had zero interest in Sony cameras until the noted Australien photographer Geoff Ross turned me onto the a7RII while on an expedition to Svalbard in 2015.

Made the move because if the sensor, in body stabilization, and the Metabones IV adapter which allowed me to use all of my Canon glass. The uncompressed raw file firmware sold me.

That being said, I would have never considered the a7R; it has all of the faults described in this post.

I also have the a7SII and have preordered the a9, but I will never trade in my Canons.

I do have four Sony GM lenses and find them as good as any glass from Canon on the Sony bodies.

I ended up selling my A7R and lenses. They were just bloody awful. Even at half the price they would be disappointing for shooting anything more animated than landscapes.

I lost a $hitload of money on this but I went back to Nikon with a D810 and I'm getting some great images again. I know that people on here will always extol the virtues of Sony because they own one, but the reality is they are too slow, badly designed expensive cameras.

Best of luck to the Sony owners but I'll be doing my best to warn people off buying any kind of Sony camera in the future.

You bought the wrong body for your needs.  You are doing a real disservice to folks considering Sony cameras with your blanket discredit.  The A7rII is a phenomenal camera, haven't touched my high end Canon bodies in the past year.  With your first post you stated you just wanted information, admitted you purchased the wrong body, but now for some reason you feel compelled to denigrate the entire line of cameras made by Sony.  Fortunately I am doing my best to counter opinions such as yours, so in the scheme of things we will probably cancel each other out.  Have fun lugging your Nikon gear!

Guest Jaf-Photo

Nobody can deny that first gen A7 cameras have issues as do some of the early FE lenses. That's where many users are likely to start a Sony FE system because of the prohibitive cost of a Mk II with GM lenses.

So, I think Sony is doing themselvex a disservice by feeding disappointing gear to entry level customers.

Nobody can deny that first gen A7 cameras have issues as do some of the early FE lenses. That's where many users are likely to start a Sony FE system because of the prohibitive cost of a Mk II with GM lenses.

So, I think Sony is doing themselvex a disservice by feeding disappointing gear to entry level customers.

My issue with Ryan5 is his blanket condemnation of Sony cameras.  It's like condemning Chevrolet because of the Vega.  Many of these issues are non issues because lots of entry level folks are very happy with the A7 series. 

...........went back to Nikon with a D810 and I'm getting some great images again.

I know that people on here will always extol the virtues of Sony because they own

one, but the reality is they are too slow, badly designed expensive cameras.

Best of luck to the Sony owners but I'll be doing my best to warn people off buying

any kind of Sony camera in the future.

" .... people ... extol the virtues of Sony because they own one ..... "   

That is not quite accurate. Not false, definitely off the mark. Allow me to serve as an 

example case. I change only two words in your statement, NOT to their opposite but 

merely to reflect reality:  

" People like me extol the virtues of Sony because they own both brands.

Hope that dispels any pesky "alternative factoids"  :-)   

BTW this owner and user of both brands has not found his Nikons to be cheaper 

or faster than his Sonys .... altho for about the same sheckels, Nikon will always 

deliver almost twice as much gear, on a pounds per dollar basis ! 

I have access to all of the big brands at my workplace, plus high-end digital cinema cameras (I teach such stuff at university level).

In my private life I've shot analog on Minolta, Pentax, Contax and Nikon bodies, later digital on Canon. I own a pretty large collection of Minolta SR and Zeiss Contax C/Y lenses from my analog days (those are probably by now one of the best investments I ever made).

I went Sony when the A7R Mark II came out. Never looked back, the two Canon bodies went into the bay after a few months. Yes, the menus are awful, but you can put everything you really need all the time onto function buttons and the wheel menu. These cameras are highly configurable.

I own only three native FE lenses for the occasion where AF is really helpful, but most of the time enjoy my vintage glass on it. Got me a A7S (the first model) for a good price for extreme low-light.

Just to say that there are some guys (and probably gals) who are very happy with their switch. Maybe I wouldn't have been with the first A7R.

I went Sony when the A7R Mark II came out. Never looked back, the two Canon

bodies went into the bay after a few months. Yes, the menus are awful, but you

can put everything you really need all the time onto function buttons and the wheel

menu. These cameras are highly configurable.

I own only three native FE lenses for the occasion where AF is really helpful, but

most of the time enjoy my vintage glass on it. .........

Just to say that there are some guys (and probably gals) who are very happy

with their switch. Maybe I wouldn't have been with the first A7R.

My story is rather much the same. And I am definitely the same as 

regards the 'R' versions. A $1500 yeoman's tool does not magically 

upgrade to an elite device just by adding more MP and doubling its 

price. It's easy to complain about a few shortcomings in a $3000 

compact camera. But for half that price, most the vast majority of 

owners of the $1500 basic version are seldom heard complaining :-)