Sony 90mm Macro, or Zeiss 85 Batis, which will you be more likely to get?

I carry myself with the question of which lens is the best choice for me. Therefore, I have created the following (personally embossed) points list:

Vergleich 85/90 mm Objektive       Sony FE 90mm                                      F2.8 Macro G Punkte Zeiss 85mm                F1.8 Batis Punkte       Brennweiten (FF/APS-C) 90/135 mm 2 85/127,5 mm 1 Lichtstärke F2.8 1 F1.8 3 Farbe Schwarz 1 Schwarz 1 Format Vollformat 1 Vollformat 1 Vergrößerung 1x 3 0.1265x 1 Filter 62 mm 2 67 mm 1 AF-Antrieb DD-SSM 1,5 SSM 1 Fokus-Design Intern 1 Intern 1 OSS Ja 1 Ja 1 Abdichtung Ja 1 Ja 1 Länge 130,5 mm 1 92 mm 2 Gewicht 602 g 1 475 g 2 Fokusbegrenzung Ja 2 Nein 0 Fokushaltetaste Ja 1 Nein 0 Fokusschiebering Ja 1 Nein 0 OLED-Display Nein 0 Ja 1 Preis 1.149,00 € 1,5 1.199,00 € 1 Gesamtpunkte   19   18

I will order my 90 Macro. Greetings to the community .

Really difficult to read. But funny, very funny. You give Sony 19 Points and Zeiss 18 points.

Sony gets two points for having a 62 mm filter thread and Zeiss gets one point for 67mm. 

Sony gets two  points for focus limiter, and Zeiss 0 points because it has none. But it does not need one, its not a macro.

Sony gets 0,5 points more than Zeiss because it costs 4% less than Zeiss.

I would give Sony 0 points for design and Zeiss 3 points!  Our milages vary. I cancelled my reservation for the Sony lens and ordered a Batis.

For me the question is how the Batis will perform at close distances (with extension tubes). The 90mm Macro samples I've seen have wonderful 3D pop and bokeh, so if the Batis can match this and is at least a stop faster then it's the winner for me. I would use this focal length for both portraits and fairly close up still life work (not so much 'macro' - insects etc) so one lens that can do well in both scenarios would be great.

Ben

Well I am in the same position, but I expect to use the 90 mm Macro more than portraiture. So the Batis 85 mm 1.8 with ext tubes the Kenko are metal and the best quality tubes for the Sony FE full frame body's 2 things I know is with tubes it is a pain in the rear to change the ext tube to match the cropping and think that's a lot of work and if your at a certain distance there may be a gap from the 2 ext tubes, where the 90 MM Macro is much better for this kind of photography.

So I am going with the 90 MM Macro and as for weight and size it's very close to the Canon 100 2.8 IS L witch when used with the Metabones 3 adapter makes the Sony shorter so it's the winner in my eye's! But we will see how the 85 mm Batis image quality with ext tubes?

Christopher

Some thoughts here:

My favorite primes are 35/85/135 - which the majority of shots going to the 35/135. There was a Zeiss demo at the photo market today, and I held the Batis in my hand and played with the focus ring and it didn't feel good to me (IMHO) - as I will also be using this for video.  Having said that I purchased the FE 90 today for the versatility. There is such a good feeling having that AF/MF toggle, fat focusing ring with good rotation and hard stops.

Cheers,

-Pete.

Seriously though decision. I want a dedicated macro and I want the best portrait lens possible as I'll be a grandpa soon. I keep changing my mind but as of now I'm leaning towards the Batis. I have a Caonon 500D macro lens (actually a filter) and I'm thinking that using it on the 70-200 along with maybe using extension tubes should be good for macro. Since I don't have the 70-200 yet I guess I should get it first as knowing how it does for macro with the Canon 500D and or extension tubes will help me with this decision.

I would be interested in seeing how those will work with the Batis too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What about the samyang rokinon fe 100 2.8 manual focus macro?

Anyone have any thoughts about that as an alternative to the 90 2.8?

Is there really that much difference between 1.8 [batis] and 2.8 [sony]?

When it comes to bokeh and subject isolation, i find even f4 to be quite often too fine of a dof half the sometimes.

I'll have the 90 2.8 Macro since yesterday and I'm really satisfied about the pictures I made.

The lense ist quite large, but not that heavy. For the street I'll use fl of 25 to 55. size and weight matters to me. that's why I changed to mirrorless.

But fl of 85 to 135 I would only use for shootings or on special occassions. So I'll have it in my bagpack until I need it. Therefore only weight matters. Batis 85/1.8 with 475g or Macro 90/2.8 with 602g? For me the difference isn't big enough.

On the performance side it looks like they are on the same level for portraits. Except the batis is faster with 1.8 to 2.8. I'll hardly use this difference, but "hardly" is not the same as "never"... As photography is only a hobby to me, I'll stay with my 90 2.8, because it fullfill 95% of my needs. But from time to time I'll take my manual focus 85 1.4 out of the pocket and look if there is some need of the batis 85 lense. :)

• 1 month later...

Are there any cheaper old Minolta macro lenses of at least 90mm and above?  I dont need AF or IS (OSS) for Macros , so any cheapy manual macro with adaptor may do the trick;  then I can get the Zeiss Batis 85.  The bokeh quality of  the Zeiss is far superior to the Sony 90mm for portraits. (at least from the samples I have seen)

Just returned the Sony FE 90mm.  Shot for two days in varying situations and with about 60% of the AF shots being out of focus, seriously.  Using focus peaking and MF, had more images acceptable but that is not why I bought my first Sony lens.  Shooting with a A7r I decided to test this lens against my Canon 100 f2.8L IS.  Mounted on a tripod using a cable release, I did shot an old wooden fence and with tree leaves. Lots of fine detail. The Sony 90 was in focus but not very sharp.  Nothing like the "ultra sharp" reports from DXO and other forums.  Put on the Canon 100 f2.8 L IS with a Metabones III adapter, the results were surprising.  The Canon was much sharper and better contrast.  Odd as I never consider this lens particularly sharp.  It was OK but shined against the Sony.  I can only conclude that this is not the best of the bunch.  Sad that my first experience with a Native Sony lens is so disappointing.  I have since read articles discussing Sony's poor QC and lack of testing on lenses not designed by Zeiss.  I now have first hand knowledge.  Going to give the 85mm Batis a try when it becomes available.

Can I recommend a Raynox macro attachment using a step down ring?

I have the Pentax DFA 100/2.8 WR which is a great macro lens but nowadays just use Raynox DCR150, DCR250 or MSN505 (extreme) on a non-macro lens via a step down ring.

So, if you don't shoot macro that often and you're considering the Batis 85mm or Sony 90mm macro but still want a macro lens, then go with the Batis and pick up a Raynox DCR150 and suitable step rings to start with instead.

• 2 weeks later...

I went ahead and got the Sony 90mm FE and I will wait to see what the Sony 85mm G lens ends up being.  I really like the AF/MF clutch and focus hold on the 90mm.  I hope Sony takes the aperture ring from the FE 35mm F/1.4 and the AF/MF clutch and focus hold of the 90mm macro and add them to an 85mm F/1.4 of F/2. 

This is my dilemma as well. I don't shoot macro but oh the sharpness of the 90mm, and the option to shoot macro when needed is so alluring. On top of that, the 90mm is in stock right now while the Batis 85 won't be for another few weeks... Instant gratification methinks!