Returned Sony 90mm macro for Sigma 105mm. Works for me.

zsk

Find the Sigma sharper, more silent at focusing, convenient aperture ring, better handling, and no rattling (probably due to the no lens stabilizer).

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

This is interesting for me, as I am acquiring now the Sony 90mm or the Sigma 105mm. Your assessment of sharpness is in agreement with the Lenstip reviews of these lenses. The Lenstip assessment of sharpness, based on MFT function, say that the Sigma is sharper, but only at apertures wider than f 8 (starting from f 8, diffraction substantially reduces and pretty much equalizes resolution).

What camera are you using and how is C-AF performance in comparison (I have A7R5)?

Thanks, Wolfgang

Edited by Architeuthis

I am using the Sigma DG DN 105mm macro with the A74, and AF-S center point for stills. For portrait, i of course rely on my trusty Sigma 85 f/1.4 but i also find the 105 macro in AF-C eye detection to work very well (skin blemishes show up more for sure). The important thing is to nail the focus delimiter switch, as i found that some of my friends who complained about their macro lenses (irrespective of brand/camera) usually leave it full range as they did not know the subtlety of the other two settings.

Another pain point for me with the Sony FE 90 was the focus pull ring. I found it super annoying getting in the way. Is it in AF now or not, kinda thing. And while in manual focus, the lens would make a not pleasant electronic noise during its operation. sigma in comparison is very quiet.

I’d say if you could try both in store, do that. My local store let me try both in store, and for seven days.

Edited by zsk

26 minutes ago, zsk said:

The important thing is to nail the focus delimiter switch, as i found that some of my friends who complained about their macro lenses (irrespective of brand/camera) usually leave it full range as they did not know the subtlety of the other two settings.

I'm sure this point will be helpful to other viewers.  Many people have difficulty with AF in macro-mode -- especially HIGH magnification -- and switch to manual focusing.  Since I only use bellows lenses for my macro shots, I don't have a choice.

Hi, I never have used auto focus with a macro lens at macro distances because my feeling has always been that auto focus has no way of knowing exactly the point I want to focus on, so why use it and I am usually NOT in a hurry and can take my time with setup and in fact rather enjoy the manual macro-focusing process. Prior to moving over to the A7iv I used Nikon cameras and lenses and even with the move I have kept my Nikkor 105 macro auto focus lens, which I have used manually on the Sony body with a Metabones adapter with good results. I have also used it in shooting video on Sony video cameras.

All that said, I haven't used either of the two lenses in question, but I am intrigued with both of them, most particularly the Sony FE 90 macro lens which has the push/pull collar to take the lens in and out of autofocus; I am used to that collar on the Sony 18-110 video lens I have used since it came out, and rather like the action of that mechanism. I have read numerous reviews and looked at many excellent photos taken with both lenses and been impressed with both of them.  It would be hard for me to chose between them just based on image quality.