Continuous Focus Doesn't Work With Metabones

my a7ii came with a Metabones IV as a special deal - which was good because I have some excellent EF primes

Which EF lens works on my a7ii depends... clearly they don't all use the same AF protocol and reverse engineering has solved some interface issues but not others. The Metabones web site has a list of what lenses they think work - and brings in crowd sourced info as well. Not on the list? beware..... Some EF lenses will AF (slowly, e.g. ef24mm f/2.8 IS), some will work some of the time but may crash the a7 camera (so you have to take the battery out to fix) and some simply don't work and are not supported (e.g. ef35mm f/2 IS). Pity because my favourite EF lens wouldn't AF (see my thread on firmware and software instabilities) - worked brilliantly in MF though

In the end I gave up on AF and just worked with MF - which is superb if you are doing things that don't move too quickly; different experience but can be very rewarding. Remember also that the Metabones usually connects in "green" battery saving mode and you have to press the little button on the adapter as you mount it to get full MF (focus magnification as you turn the focus ring) support etc. (Put the lens on the adapter first). Even then you have to reset it and reattach the adapter most of the time after you turn the camera off and on - a nuisance also given the short battery life of the a7

In the end I just reckoned that the stuff on the web on EF lens compatibility and AF capability was overhyped - so I kept to MF using Canon lenses and then gave up and bought an expensive native sony lens (which, of course, works fine in AF!)