LE-EA4 and back button focus

TWP

I've just bought a Sony A7 and an LE-EA4 adapter to use with the Minolta 70-210 f4 zoom but can't get back button focus to work, seemed straightforward, followed someones guide 

1. Choose Menu > Custom Settings > Pre-AF > Off
2. Choose Menu > Custom Settings > Custom Key Settings > AEL Button > AF On.
3. Choose Menu > Custom Settings > Custom Key Settings > AF/MF Button > AF/MF Ctrl Toggle.
4. Choose Menu > Custom Settings > AF w/shutter > Off.

however pressing the AEL button you hear a clunk but the lens doesn't focus? turn back on AF w.shutter and lens works fine, so then it occurred to me maybe the LE-AE4 just doesn't allow it for some reason? Anyone have this working or can tell me if there's something else to change or disappointingly tell me it's never going to work!!!

With my A7r + LA-EA4 back button focus works like a charm.

I've set the C1 custom button to switching between mf / af

The button inside the rear lever (AF/MF | AEL) is the "back button focus" activator (with the lever up; lever down it activates the magnifier when in manual focus)

My settings:

"Gear menu" > page 4 > AF w/shutter = Off

"Gear menu" > page 6 > Custom Key Settings >  AF/MF Button = AF On

(optional) "Gear menu" > page 6 > Custom Key Settings >  Custom Button 1 > AF/MF Ctrl Toggle 

+1 addicted2light

Back button focus works fine for me with the LA-EA4

however pressing the AEL button you hear a clunk but the lens doesn't focus? turn back on AF w.shutter and lens works fine

Your settings look like it should work for you. Is it possible that the AF/MF - AEL switch is in the wrong position? If it's in the AF/MF position that "clunk" would be the noise some older screw driven lenses make when engaging / disengaging AF/MF.

you set AEL Button > AF On so make sure the switch is in AEL position. If it still doesn't work try assigning AF On to another button to test.

Thanks guys, just me being a dork, had the lever in the AF/MF position, thinking that for AF that's what I needed, also activating the magnifier with that switch will be good, wasn't sure how to go about doing that. Thanks for the help.