Sony Zeiss Planar T* FE 50mm F1.4 ZA_2

Reinhold_1

Here is my report of my (short) experience with the Sony-Zeiss Planar FE 50mm F1.4 ZA:

Due to the technical data and the reporting, I ordered the Sony-Zeiss Planar FE 50mm F1.4 ZA  for me and received it today.

First surprise when unpacking: The lens hood is reminiscent of the labbe engined design of the Sony-Zeiss Planar FA 50mm F1.4 ZA, except that it is designed in the form of petal. Sony better can prove the lens hoods of other Sony Zeiss lenses, which are carried out in a plastic / metal composite. That improves appearance and is especially stable!

Second surprise when connecting the Sony-Zeiss Planar FE 50mm F1.4 ZA on one of my Sony bodys: Clearly audible and annoying (for me) focus-noise from the lens.

After that, the optical performance of this lens was no longer interesting  for me.

For almost 1.800, - € I would have expected a better quality. Consequence: Lens repacked and sent back. Dispensing with half an f-stop I stay there but better the Sony-Zeiss Sonnar FE 55mm F1.8 ZA.

As fits the quality of the hood and the autofocus noise does not bother. And: According DxO Mark this lens is not the worst!

That's really a pity!

It is really interesting to read, that your are more interested in the Hoodquality and a bit of AF Noise, which may result just in that certain copy than in the general optical quality. I own this lens sincee a couple of days and I am truly happy about the outstanding optical performance. AF-noise? Nothing to complain. This was the lens (in the 50mm range) I was waiting for.

Photominator

@ timde

Thanks for the support.

One should not put anything as consumers by the producer.
The only way that you, as a consumer to waive the purchase.
If anyone thinks otherwise, that is of course within his rights!
Should Sony rework the lens hood and get the noise problem under control,
I will buy this optically undoubtedly outstanding lens immediately.

But only then!

Yes, for that price the quality should be at an appropriate level. But not everyone care about that. If you follow the testing of Diglloyd you can learn that Sony is also failing in other more important areas with this lens. 

I like what Zeiss is doing, but then I'm just doing this for fun, and I like good design. So Zeiss fits better to me. Sony as always is just numbers on paper, no one care about how it feels, how its works, just so long that it has f.X and looks like something from Canon     :ph34r:

Still I wonder how they make A7 series and Rx1, both of the same heritage, but with different button layout. Does no one care about the details?

When build quality is not first rate, optical

quality is rendered meaningless. These

are complex electro-mechanical devices. 

I would certainly return it immediately with

no interest in checking its IQ, given that it

feels tacky at first touch, even if it sold at

half of what it's currently selling for.

• 2 weeks later...

I agree that the hood does not meet one's expectation on such purchase, but for me it was no reason to return the lens.

As for the AF noise, it has nothing to do with bad BQ or defect. It is simply owed to the construction and the AF concept to move that amount of glass as quick as they could manage it to.

It is the same drive construction than for the GM85 btw.

Besides this quality issue

Size and weight is issue too

I came to sony A 7 s world for small size and light weight with non compromising quality. New sony zeiss lenses getting bigger and heavier.

We all admire sony to make such a small and compact ff body with dslr quality but if we have to use this big and heavy lenses for best quality, it is missing the point

• 2 weeks later...

I agree that the hood does not meet one's expectation on such purchase, but for me it was no reason to return the lens.

As for the AF noise, it has nothing to do with bad BQ or defect. It is simply owed to the construction and the AF concept to move that amount of glass as quick as they could manage it to.

It is the same drive construction than for the GM85 btw.

I own the 85 GM.  It arrived with the aforementioned focus noise. The focus electronics failed sixty days later.  The warranty repair center has returned the lens with a report confirming the failure and replacement of master board and processor.  My 24-70 GM is a larger lens and has no focus noise. The 85 is a bit quieter after it's return.  Would I give up my 55 f1.8 for the noisey 50 f1.4, NO.  If I ever purchase another GM lens (doubtful) I'll return it in a heartbeat if it arrives with the same groan on focus issue.

I own the 85 GM.  It arrived with the aforementioned focus noise. The focus electronics failed sixty days later.  The warranty repair center has returned the lens with a report confirming the failure and replacement of master board and processor.  My 24-70 GM is a larger lens and has no focus noise. The 85 is a bit quieter after it's return.  Would I give up my 55 f1.8 for the noisey 50 f1.4, NO.  If I ever purchase another GM lens (doubtful) I'll return it in a heartbeat if it arrives with the same groan on focus issue.

I am sorry for your copy failing after sixty days. But that's more of bad luck I suppose.

2470GM has another drive, and I can confirm the 70200GM, too. F1.4 needs to move a lot of glass, and in combination with current DSLM AF technique they managed it with this drive.

I am not happy with it either, but I can live with that compromise. In the end it's a matter of personal like or dislike.

What I didn't like around the sound bashing after the arrivals of those lenses is the fact that seemingly everybody is forgetting the good old screw driven AF times - A mount users owning 85ZA, 135ZA or the Macro 100 know what I mean. That's AF sound! :-)

• 3 weeks later...

Smaller matters can be infuriating, and it is hard to imagine how design engineers can be so thoughtless/careless/clueless. But ultimately, there are such issues with pretty much every manufacturer. For example, most Zeiss lens caps fall off and be lost ridiculously easily, and cost a ridiculous amount of money to replace. Or lenses that you can store with the lens hood reversed, but then you can't focus. So you need to take the lens hood off before you can use the camera.

So, unfortunately, while I agree with Rheinhold's policy of staying away from designs with poorly thought-out details, "perfect" designs are few and far between, and ultimately I am still a sucker for IQ...