Is Video Quality of a6000 "Better" Than Video of a7ii ???

A friend who owns both the a6000 and the a7ii says that the video quality of the a6000 is "better" than that of the a7ii (although he found it hard to explain what exactly "better" meant).

does anyone have thoughts on this?

I would most likely be shooting in lower light (around ISO 3200) in 1080p at 30 or 60fps

I have heard that the a6000 and a6300 don't have line skipping / pixel skipping.

Also, if you know about the a7ii (not the R or S models), is it possible to shoot at super 35 1080p to avoid line skipping? Or does the a7ii only go into super35 format when shooting 4k?

Thanks in advance.

Good evening,

Without knowing what is definition is of better is it is hard to truly know where he is getting at. As far as I know the Sony A7ii should have better video quality than the A6000 since the A7ii is a full frame sensor. The A7ii has the capability of retaining more light in low light situations  than the A6000 because of it's full frame sensor. You are correct when you read that the A6000/A6300 doesn't have skipping / pixel skipping but that is for the A6300 when shooting 4k video since it is down-sampling a 6k video to 4k. The A6000 does not have the ability of shooting 4k video. The A7ii does not have a Super 35 mode that is only for the A7Rii in 4K video, the A7Sii has full pixel read out on the sensor.

I hope that answered your questions

Thank you, DavJohnson:

So what you are saying is that it was a mistake for me to buy the a6300 and I should have bought the a7ii instead???

Or would the 1080p of the a6000 be better than that of the a6300 in low light???

I am totally confused right now, and would rather not spend the money on an a7s if I don't need to.

To simplify -

Video Quality - a6300 > A7M2 > a6000 

however you only get a cropped view for a6300 and a6000, and the A7m2 has IBIS

A6300 would still have a slightly better noise level in video even in 1080 compare to A7M2.

If you don't care about IBIS and low light video noise is the priority - get the a6300, otherwise a7m2 will be a more rounded option.

Thank you, lenoindex, for that simple clarification.

I understand the crop factor of the a6xoo cameras, and I understand I will be missing the benefits of the IBIS on th e a7ii, but I will be using tripods and sliders mostly, so hopefully will be able to work around it.

I understand a6300 has worse rolling shutter effect, but fortunately I will be filming large stationary objects, so I have the luxury of panning and sliding slowly.

The Sony A6300 most likely have better video output than the Sony A7II. The reason would be that Sony A7II uses line skipping when doing video readout from the sensor vs the Sony a6300 uses whole sensor readout without line skipping.

Sources: Model differences table

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sony_A7

Thank you for the link and the explanation.

• 2 weeks later...