Field Monitor with A7Sii

Hi all,

I'm new to the forum and new to video, so please bare with me.

Has any body out there had any experience of using the SonyA7Sii and a field monitor for videoing?

The one I'm looking at is the Feelworld FW759 7 inch Ultra HD 1280x800 IPS Screen Camera Field Monitor. 

I'm not interested in using any fancy functionality with the monitor. All I want is for the monitor to show what is on the screen of the camera, to make it easier to focus. So if I zoom in using the focus assist on the camera (I use manual focus), I need for the same image to be shown on the field monitor.

I'm also going to be using the camera with a Ronin M, so the ability to have a field monitor linked via HDMI allowing me to see what the camera is seeing would be a big help.

Thanks in advance for advice.

John

Guest all8

Sony make a monitor (CLM-FHD5) which matches the resolution of the EVF, and Atomos make some things too which also record and seem quite advanced.

I've not used either, but would like to try something as an alternative to the EVF ....

Blackmagic videoassist and Atomos enable prores recording and have lots of useful focus and exposure tools.

Focusing on the Shogun (with an A7S) is a delight compared to the camera screen (magnified using the touch screen directly, not via the camera).

There was a discussion about small monitors over on eoshd.com recently if you're interested.

With a wide lens it's usually possible to "know" what's in the frame without actually seeing it. But that does rather depend on how accurate your framing needs to be. And you won't be able to change focus easily on the Ronin anyway (unless you have a remote follow focus unit?) so presumably you'll be quite wide?

SmallHD 4 rigged for daylight. Set to focus assist and is marvelous for getting focus on target. Does false colors & other swell things but keeping things compact & mobile is what I'm after. Note it's set up for zoom, too. Those larger displays are great for tripod work but my shooting has me from mobile to tripod to mobile within moments and having a display larger than my cam era would seriously cramp my style.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Thanks all for the replies. However, I'm not interested in a field monitor that records, as my camera does that. All I'm looking for is a larger screen that is linked via HDMI that will present with me with a larger image of exactly what's on the rear lcd of the camera. Nothing more.

From your responses, my understanding is that any screen with a HDMI input should work with the camera. I'm certainly not going to pay Sony prices for a monitor, hence my asking if the camera will work OK with non Sony field monitors. I asked because I have a Sony TV and it only works with Sony wifi dongles (which cost mega bucks); so they are clearly not averse to tying you into their products.

cheers

John

NOT all field monitors with an HDMI input will work, I had a cheap Marshall which I used with the A72 but it would not work when I upgraded to the A7R2.  I'm now using the recently released Ikan DH7 1920 X 1080 7" monitor; they also have a 5" version.

Correct me if I'm wrong but the 7 inch screen actually has a gap each of the image due to the ratio difference between the A7 output and the displays even if they are 920x1080.

You do not get a massive increase in image size compaired to the A7 rest screen.

• 5 weeks later...

13413825_10154221557797090_1453524373_n.

Just got one the other day to use on jib (and on camera for slider shots).

It's kind of annoying in auto mode.. a good bit of the monitor is not being used. If you change it to a zoom mode and zoom out 10 clicks it works better imo. But then the video monitor doesn't 'remember' settings after a battery is removed.

All in all i'm happy with the price. I briefly searched for a true 1080 monitor at first... and then realized that this monitor gets the job done just fine. 

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all,

I'm new to the forum and new to video, so please bare with me.

Has any body out there had any experience of using the SonyA7Sii and a field monitor for videoing?

The one I'm looking at is the Feelworld FW759 7 inch Ultra HD 1280x800 IPS Screen Camera Field Monitor. 

I'm not interested in using any fancy functionality with the monitor. All I want is for the monitor to show what is on the screen of the camera, to make it easier to focus. So if I zoom in using the focus assist on the camera (I use manual focus), I need for the same image to be shown on the field monitor.

I'm also going to be using the camera with a Ronin M, so the ability to have a field monitor linked via HDMI allowing me to see what the camera is seeing would be a big help.

Thanks in advance for advice.

John

as I see, Feelworld release a new model FW760 with 1920x1080 native resolution, it is a nearly the updated version of FW759, 

sounds nice too!

http://www.feelworld.com.cn/ShowInfo.aspx?id=386&py=7-IPS-Ultra-thin-Design-Full-HD-1920x1200-HDMI-HD-On-Camera-Monitor-with-Peaking-Focus-Assist-Histogram-Zebra-Exposure-FW760