Reversing 55mm 1.8 for macro

Guest Peter Kelly

I don't see any reason why not, although I haven't noticed any adapters (not that I've looked!).

Of course, being a newer automatic lens you won't be able to adjust the aperture, so have to shoot wide open, but that's not always a killer.

The simple answer is to try it and see what the results are like. If you have a 55mm then it won't cost much!

Not a very practical idea unless you use a legacy lens.

Once you consider legacy lenses, you may as well go

for a true macro lens to adapt. The 55/3.5 Micro Nikkor

runs about $50. Adapter about $20. There are plenty of

other perficklee good macro lenses floating around, but

the N/F mount is the most common.

If you insist on reversing a lens, be aware that even if

you gain aperture control by using a legacy lens, you'll

also be without a focusing mechanism, unless you also

include either a focusing helical, a bellows, or a rail.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Acoarst even if you had an "official" macro lens, a rail

is almost a necessity for final focus. The cheaper way

out is a dual rail bellows and an enlarger lens. A dual

rail bellows has one rail for setting the extension plus

a second, parallel, rail for adjusting distance. BTW you

should also use a tripod that is heavy enuf that you'd

rather not hike around with it.

Hello RenoFrank!

1. The 55mm reversed is not impractical as much as it may not be as efficient - depending on your subject and shooting circumstances and magnification you need.

2. Without aperture control a reverse lens offers very limited depth of field. (Most new tech lens (AF) do not have manual aperture rings, nor can their aperture be controlled in reverse mode, I believe.) Depending on lens it may remain permanently set a wide open at f1.8 (offering no depth of field) or stopped down to maybe f13/16 (making manual focus difficult expect in very bright light and reducing shutter speed unnecessarily). There are ways to get around this in some systems but painful in practical shooting conditions to follow.

3. Next, the 55mm in reverse does not magnify much. Get a MF 50 macro+extention tube to do the same job better. However, a 35mm or 28mm in reverse will really offer very good magnification. (50mm f3.5 macro Canon FD or Minolta MD or Pentax K mount lenses + adapter won't cost much and are very good although may not compare with the latest technology glass.)

4. Lastly, if you have a 28mm lens just buy a 11mm extention tube and you have 1:2 macro for sure! Cannot comment on distortion, depends on subject matter. (Example: A Canon EF 28mm f2.8 IS +12mm E tube offers full aperture control, bright view finder for ease of focussing,  + IS! It is dandy for hand held close up shots! (Of coure subject-lens distsnce will be down to a few centimetres.) The magnification should be as good as the 55mm in reverse and personally I feel this is a better option to a 55mm in reverse.

See photo of a butterfly with Canon 28mm IS lens+12mm extention tube. (Using AF+IS+auto flash, un cropped... hand held! I had to use f13 as the flash was overpowering at the range of just 5 odd cms. Without flash and a f6.7 would have blurred background better.) The butterfly is about 2.5 inches/6.5cm across. I've taken similar shots with a Sony A7 except it is not possible to use AF efficiently using an EF lens+ tubes on an adapter.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Hope this helps you make a more informed decision.

The best!

Lenoindex: Not sure I understand your question completely. However -

1. Focussing an AF lens manually: Many AF lenses permit manual focus. (Either lens or camera has a switch to use lens in MF mode.) To use an AF lens in reverse mode, ideally one needs a lens that has a MF/AF switch on the lens, a focus ring and an aperture control ring. 

2. There is a Novoflex reverse adapter available for EF mount that permits auto aperture control. 

3. A reverse adapter fitted with a 35/28mm lens offers greater magnification than a 50mm macro + extension tubes; also, more light is available at the film plane/sensor.

Lenoindex: Not sure I understand your question completely. However -

1. Focussing an AF lens manually: Many AF lenses permit manual focus. (Either lens or camera has a switch to use lens in MF mode.) To use an AF lens in reverse mode, ideally one needs a lens that has a MF/AF switch on the lens, a focus ring and an aperture control ring. 

2. There is a Novoflex reverse adapter available for EF mount that permits auto aperture control. 

3. A reverse adapter fitted with a 35/28mm lens offers greater magnification than a 50mm macro + extension tubes; also, more light is available at the film plane/sensor.

1. The FE55 OP is trying to reverse is fly by wire and no mechanical MF mode, and no aperture ring.

3. Thanks for the short and accurate answer - I ended up googling a bit and reach to the same conclusion :D

I would also like a reversing adapter Novoflex prodcue one for canon lenses .  I emailed them and asked that they make one for Sony emount... All they said is they have no plans for now.  I suspect that if a decent number of people ask they may decide to produce one!!

Novoflex adapters are quite expensive. Their EF reverse adapter costs about $400. So, I have made one myself which permits AF and aperture control. However, all in all, I prefer the convenience of a 150mm macro IS or the 28mm IS +extension tube. Since I shoot mostly outdoors, sharp photos at magnification above 1:1 can be very difficult in field conditions, hand held. So I eschew a reverse lens setup.

However, to wait for Novoflex to make a Sony E mount can be a long wait. If you are really keen you can always consider buying an Sony E/Canon EF mount adapter and put the Novoflex EF reverse adapter to good use!

1. Focussing an AF lens manually: Many AF lenses permit

manual focus. (Either lens or camera has a switch to use

lens in MF mode.) To use an AF lens in reverse mode,

ideally one needs a lens that has a MF/AF switch on the

lens, a focus ring and an aperture control ring...........

The aperture control ring I can understand, but I can't

see any use for an MF/AF switch, or for a focusing ring.

It makes me doubt you've worked with reversed lens.

If you reverse a zoom lens, you might get some focusing

ability by using the zoom ring .... but OTOH the point of

focus could wind up INSIDE the lens barrel [depending

on the lens design].

Similarly, if you reverse a lens that has internal focusing,

you might [or might not] get some usable focus function

from a reversed lens. But most lenses are unit focusing

so they have no focus ability when reversed.

The reason I asked is because I already own the 55mm.

The bottom line is "Owning that lens does NOT open

up great new macro opportunities." Just use it for its

normal intended purposes.

Why might it be impractical?

That seems to now be well answered by the community.

If You are seriously interested in Macro (or Micro-) Photographie, my recommendation would be to wait until you are willing and/or able to invest in a real Macrolens.

Luckily we have the nature Sony 2,8/90mm in the lineUp. It is a big vessel, of course, but comes with an outstanding optical Performance (including internal Focussing with out extending Size).

I loved my former Zeiss 2,0/100 MacroPlanar with my D810, but the Sony is next to it. Really great, and, additional, it scales 1:1, not only 1:2 as the CZ does.

Hello, Golem!

In response:

1. ".....but I can't see any use for an MF/AF switch, or for a focusing ring."
Fair enough.

2."It makes me doubt you've worked with reversed lens."

You are welcome to your doubts, they do not change facts; nor matter a whit.

3."But most lenses are unit focusing so they have no focus ability when reversed."

Most lenses maybe, I haven't used every lens in the market. But a couple I have used, their fine focus does change if lens rotated from MFD to infinity. (Try rotating fully the focus collar of a Canon FD 85mm/1.8 fitted onto a Pentax 67 MkII and see what happens to the magnification and focus.)

Lastly, when posting keep in mind the objective - to answer the orginal question constructively, to help the originator understand the subject/issues so he can make an informed decision, not brow beat him with brusque one liners that do not help him understand, or make rude comments and pass judgements.

Thank you, nontheless!