Flash -Any recommendations for A6000

Greetings:

Second post on this helpful forum.  Just starting to try to get acquainted with the Sony a6000

I am seeking recommendations for a flash.  Or maybe recommendation for a flash I found.  I discovered I have a Canon  Speedlite 420EX flash.  I mounted it in the hot shoe and it fires when it is supposed to but the results are terrible.  Apparently blown out as the images appear white on playback.

I don't have a ton of money to spend on a flash.  I have always thought it is best to have a flash mounted anywhere but in the hot shoe.

As in my previous post, I am very unfamiliar with this camera and the online resources I was directed to are quite helpful.

I am wondering if anyone could point me in the direction of a good all around flash.

Thank you.

Smorton

How on earth did you manage to connect a 420EX onto the hot shoe? I have a Canon 430EX (which is very similar) for my Canon EOS cameras, and the electrical pins (contacts) are in an entirely different position than those for the a6000. In addition, it won't fit, as the tightening screw hits the eyepiece.

The center pin allows triggering in most cameras, all manual off cource. That means setting flash output and apperture on the the unit according to distance etc. One could read up on the guide number theory but honestly trial and error will do for the most part.

Nikon SB26 bounced off cealing and walls triggered by cheap trigger for Nikon left and built in bounced of wall to the right

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

SB26 Bounced off wall and cealing right

Connecting it was not a problem.  Making it work seems to be.  It does fire when expected but I must have it on the wrong settings.

It fits into the hot shoe rather easily.

Is this something I should try working with to get it so the photos turn out?

Thanks

Smorton

You need to go to manual on the flash and set the power output according to your selected ISO and apperture. On the camera you go Ae or M. The flash moster adjusts in full stops e.g 1/1, 1/2, 1/4, 1/8 etc. Each coresponds one stop on your aperture.

You need to learn about Manual Mode flash using guide no calculations and for this to work with such a flash, you will need to do all of the following:

- turn the camera into M mode specifying a shutter speed around 1/125sec ( check your camera manual for the max X-synch speed )

- Select a fixed ISO speed ( no Auto or iAuto possible here)

- Select either daylight or Flash White Balance ( with such a flash there is no way for the camera to know there is a flash up there)

- Place the EVF settings into Settings Effects OFF ( otherwise in dark situations you won't see anything in the viewfinder )

- Find the data about your flash and make guide Number calculations based on ISO/ zoom coverage of the flash and subject distance so you can set a proper aperture. If your flash is old enough, there may be a dial at the rear that simplifies these calculations.

Sounds complicated ? It sure is. This is why a proper dedicated flash is in appearance so expensive.

A flash is now a computer peripheral that has to talk to the camera and lens so they can make decisions together. Any attempt to make something not really dedicated is bound for very complex set-ups that will discourage most from using flash thinking it is complicated.

The flash you are trying to use is dedicated to be used on Canon cameras, their flash computer language is different from the Sony language ( and so would the Nikon language).

Direct off camera SB 26 left

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Anything you can control manually will do. Second hand flashes or maybe yongnou and some simple radiotriggers. Be aware of the paint on the hotshoe on black A6000 which can lead to trigger faillure and of the old Sony/minolta hotshoe that needs an adapter to fit the new multiinterface/ISO type on our A6000. If you need TTL and/or HSS things get a bit more complicated.

I have heard/read good things about this one:  Nissin  i40 Flash for Sony.

Anyone have one?

Sorry for the late reply; I got behind in my reading over the holidays.

I have the i40, and it works well for me. I don't use it all that much; I prefer using existing light when I can. But when I do use it, I'm happy with the results, and it's easy to use.

You can start with it in full-automatic mode, and it works out exposure details with the camera. As you gain more experience and knowledge, it will 'grow' with you ... it has a lot of nice features for the price. It can also be used off-camera, if/when you get to that point.

Best advice for just starting out: use it on-camera but don't point it directly at the subject. Bounce the light off of something. Experiment a bit and you should get reasonable results.

-Ed-