Free at last!

pfogle

Today I sold my trusty but ancient Canon 5DmkII. Well, it's not yet actually sold, but the first bid has been placed, so go it will, come Sunday!

My last EOS lens went yesterday. I thought about keeping it, but the AF didn't work properly on my A7R (it was a 24-105 f4L, so you'd think it would go...) and there's no way I can afford an A7RII just yet.

So my next little project is to compare my 3 50mm lenses - Canon FD 50mm f1.2, SMC Takumar 50mm f1.4, and a nice Helios 58mm f2. I'm particularly looking forward to see what the Canon can do - the adapter came in the post this morning :lol:

Today I sold my trusty but ancient Canon 5DmkII. Well, it's not yet actually sold, but the first bid has been placed, so go it will, come Sunday!

My last EOS lens went yesterday. I thought about keeping it, but the AF didn't work properly on my A7R (it was a 24-105 f4L, so you'd think it would go...) and there's no way I can afford an A7RII just yet.

So my next little project is to compare my 3 50mm lenses - Canon FD 50mm f1.2, SMC Takumar 50mm f1.4, and a nice Helios 58mm f2. I'm particularly looking forward to see what the Canon can do - the adapter came in the post this morning :lol:

I know how you feel! I just sold my Nikon D700. Most of the Nikon glass is either gone or on its way out.

I actually have little lens purchases ahead of me as I am going back to my C/Y Zeiss glass:

Distagon 2,8/28   

Planar 1,7/50    

Planar 1,4/85    

Tele Tessar 3,5/200

Vario-Sonnar 80-200 4

Varion-Sonnar 3.3-4 / 28-85

Mutar I 2x

all of which except the  28-80 I already owned - wisely having held onto to them, when I went Nikon - hoping I would one day be able to put them to use again.

The only time I touched my Nikon stuff after the arrival of the A7II was to take pictures for Ebay...

Welcome to freedom ;)

As a former 5d mk ii user: my guess is you won't regret the switch one bit, especially the (lack of) need to watch closely the highlights to avoid blowing them out.

Out of habit I still bracket one or two more frames with the A7r if the histogram is touching on the right, with the intention of merging them later in hdr or at least selecting the best one. And I still end up every single time not needing them!

EDIT:

And as a former L glass user (24/1.4 mk I (multiple samples), 135/2...) most Contax glass on the A7r is nothing short of phenomenal.

Guest Peter Kelly

I have my own freedom now, but not from Canon, just the weight. Here's a shot of my gear as was and all I have left of it is the 16mm fisheye...

My current set up is all A7 based and very much slimmed down too.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I know how you feel. I'm also very relieved, since I had the D810 with various heavy lenses. Unfortunately I didn't take a picture of my whole Nikon gear, but this is my complete Sony stuff so far:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Sony A7R II, 16-35, 35/2.8, 55/1.8, 90/2.8. Still missing is the Loxia 21/2.8. And this will pretty much be it, except if Sony releases something good in the 70-200mm range. This all fits into a ThinkTank "Urban Approach 15" bag, no issues at all having this on my back for several hours at a time.

Don't get me wrong, the Nikon was (is, actually) a great cam, and the equipment I had was great. But way too heavy, and if I compare all the other stuff, like built-in wifi, focus peaking, live view, EVF etc. I have to say that if Nikon and Canon don't chang their ways they'll risk to go the way of the dinosaurs. Maybe not in the next couple of years, but their sales are already down by about 20%...

Sorry for hijacking your threat, and back to what I said in the first place: Congrats, welcome to the club! :D

My Sony is my 'heavy' camera LOL - I have an angle grip permanently on to give it a bit more weight (to counter the shutter slap; it's the notorious A7R).

My other camera is a Fujifilm X-T1, but gradually I'm getting used to the Sony. Only used her on one job so far, and that was a copy job that needed high resolution. I expect that'll all change in the New Year!