Some Batis 25 Images

Guest all8

• 2 weeks later...

Do you find that the hyperfocal distance display on the lens is actually any use on a high resolution sensor?

I use it and I think its great. Would be even better if it also showed the f-stop (which I mentioned to Zeiss support).

Reason: when the camera is mounted on a tripod its often quite awkward to read the DOF scale in the EVF, on the lens is much easier. And I think it could even be more accurate? Must check to see if it matches the EVF display. One of those small LCD's, on top of the camera like a DSLR, would also be handy - its a pain to have to look in the EVF or LCD to get basic shot info - that should already be on the LCD even when the camera is "off" so you know its ready to go.

Thanks, that's really helpful. Trying to decide between this and the Loxia 21, but the AF and the focusing aid on the Batis might swing it.

Agreed, there are all sorts of ways I feel the A7 series could be better ergonomically for this kind of usage. I actually prefer the Fuji cameras ergonomically, but the sensor on the A7rii is sublime.

Depends on what you are planning on doing with the Lens. The 25mm is the "iPhone" focal length and I've found my self switching to AF and Zone focus quite often to take photos of people, and perhaps also unexpected is that for static scenes I'm using MF more and more often, partly because of the LED and partly because the feel of the focus ring is actually quite nice - the movement is non-linear and nicely weighted.

I will get the Batis 85 to go with this 25mm lens and use them as a pair on hikes. And sit on the idea of the 21mm Loxia for a while ... until Sony comes out with some kind of "A9" camera as I don't care for the A7 series that much.

Can't go wrong either way.

True, it does depend on usage. Personally, I'd never go as wide as 25mm on full frame for people shots, so that's why AF isn't such a priority for me that wide and I could consider a MF lens. 35mm is about as wide as I'd go for people.

The other option, since I haven't been able to actually get a Batis, or the Loxia 21, is to go for the 16-35 zoom right now, as if I'm not shooting people, I might not need the f/2, although I'm sure the Batis is probably a better lens in other regards than a zoom.

If I go for the Batis, I'd be looking for a reasonably light, sharp ultrawide, which could be an adapted lens. Maybe a voigtlander, although I gather they have some dedicated E-Mount lenses coming out anyway.

• 2 weeks later...