Adaptor question

grenas

Good morning, everyone. First time on here and also first question. If it doesn't belong on here, please delete. So, my question is I have a Sony a7r iv that I recently bought. one of my nephews gave me a Tamron 150-600mm G2 Lense. the port is just a tad big, so I was wondering if there's any adaptors for this combo? thanks in advance.

Sony cameras use either an a-mount or an e-mount.  I assume you tried to put this lens on your camera, and it won't fit.  That means it's PROBABLY a-mount.  BUT that lens might not be for a SONY camera at all.  You need to find that out.  Is there a rear lens cap that says SONY?

If it is a SONY, it has an a-mount. You can use it on your camera, but you'll need an adapter.  If it is NOT an a-mount lens you MIGHT be able to use it on your camera, but you'll need an adapter. What adapter you can use -- there are probably more than one -- depends on the features of your camera and the features of your lens.

Some adapters won't work at all, some adapters might work -- but not provide all the features of your camera or lens -- and others might provide all the features of both.

I don't know enough about your camera or that lens to list all your options, but I'd suggest you take the time to figure out what a-mount-to-e-mount adapters are usable (they are not all made by Sony) and not simply buy the first one that comes along and says "it will work".

Others on this FORUM will, no doubt be more familiar with your situation.

Another option -- whether or not it is an a-mount lens -- since an adapter might be very expensive, and your lens is very valuable, is to sell your lens, and buy a comparable lens with an e-mount.

Edited by XKAES

19 minutes ago, XKAES said:

Sony cameras use either an a-mount or an e-mount.  I assume you tried to put this lens on your camera, and it won't fit.  That means it's PROBABLY a-mount.  BUT that lens might not be for a SONY camera at all.  You need to find that out.  Is there a rear lens cap that says SONY?

If it is a SONY, it has an a-mount. You can use it on your camera, but you'll need an adapter.  What adapter you can use -- there are probably more than one -- depends on the features of your camera and the features of your lens.

Some adapters won't work at all, some adapters might work -- but not provide all the features of your camera or lens -- and others might provide all the features of both.

I don't know enough about your camera or that lens to list all your options, but I'd suggest you take the time to figure out what a-mount-to-e-mount adapters are usable (they are not all made by Sony) and not simply buy the first one that comes along and says "it will work".

Others on this FORUM will, no doubt be more familiar with your situation.

Another option, since an adapter might be very expensive, and your lens is very valuable, is to sell your lens, and buy a comparable lens with an e-mount.

thank you for your time and response. I will let others chime in on it. As for the Lense my nephew said it did fit but with an adaptor. I'm a newb when it comes to cameras.

"It does fit with an adapter" doesn't help much, because without knowing what camera mount it has, you can't figure out what adapter you need.  If it has a Nikon mount you need a different adapter than if it has a Canon mount, for example.  In any case, an adapter might cost more than selling the lens and buying  the same or similar lens that has a Sony e-mount.

Yes, I know the camera he has.  I'm asking about the mount on the lens.  It could be anything since it's a Tamron.  The nephew says "it fits with an adapter", and it probably does, but we need to know if it's Nikon, Canon, a-mount, or something else.

And no matter what it is, he is probably better off selling the lens and getting an e-mount lens instead -- as I said.

10 hours ago, tadwil said:

@XKAES, the OP has a Sony A7RIV - an e-mount body. 

@grenas, ask your nephew which mount the lens is.  Depending on the lens mount, you can buy an appropriate adapter to fit your A7RIV.

loading a pic of lens mount would that help?