Technical input needed

Hi there,

I am as you'll no doubt be able to tell by reading this , a newbie to digital cameras, and recently bought a second hand Sony zv-1 to start filing some bits on. I've noticed that when it's a bit bright, not massively bright , but bright that parts of the image seem to be unviewable by the camera and are blocked out with a stripy mass. I've attached a picture to illustrate what I mean. Can anyone explain to me what the problem is and if there is a solution or not ?

I do apologise if this post is in the wrong place or the camera isn't part of the parameters, like I said I'm a bit green to this at the moment! Thanks in advance for any feedback / F :)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

What these so-called 'zebra stripes' mean is that in the areas where they show up, the image is overexposed (or close to, depending on your settings). Overexposure means the photosites are saturated and the camera can no longer differentiate between lighter and darker areas. In post-processing you'll see that the overexposed areas are just pure flat white. When turning down the exposure, these areas stay 'flat', you won't be able to recover gradations or highlights.

You can disable zebra stripes in the menu if you don't care about all this and just find them distracting.