Move from Canon to Sony

I have been a keen photographer all my life and have shot many different genres over the years. I live in Wales so have great scenery and wildlife to photograph. I also have my own studio.

I had used Canon cameras for 44 years but after trying the R6 and being very disappointed, I decided to try a Sony A7 IV. I used it for a week with an adapter and my Sigma Art lenses and decided that this was the camera for me. I gathered up my 2 5D Mk IVs, 8 lenses and various other Canon kit and part exchanged the lot for a second A7IV and a range of lenses. I now have a comprehensive kit and am delighted with the performance, ease of use and light weight of my new outfit. I had heard that Sony menus were hard to follow, well, I have seen better but overall, they are fine. Once the camera is customised to suit your own style you hardly ever use them. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Welcome to the FORUM.  From what little I've read, it seems there are more Sony (and Nikon) users that migrate to Canon than the other way around.  But Sony was the only company that had a camera with the features important to me -- and I find the camera design (hardware and software) to be perfect for me.

Happy shooting

10 hours ago, XKAES said:

Welcome to the FORUM.  From what little I've read, it seems there are more Sony (and Nikon) users that migrate to Canon than the other way around.  But Sony was the only company that had a camera with the features important to me -- and I find the camera design (hardware and software) to be perfect for me.

Happy shooting

I'm curious how you reached that conclusion.

I used Canon film EF cameras casually, then got more serious with digital, using up to the 1Ds III (they lost me with the 1DX), and later the 5Ds after a period with Nikon. I used an A7RII in parallel with the 5Ds, and switched entirely to Sony. Many of the Canon users I know have switched away - one to Fuji GFX, but several to Sony - I don't think Canon's handling of their transition to mirrorless has been one of their best efforts.

YIKES, you certainly have had FunWith A LOT OF Cameras.

We'll have to see how it goes in the future, but currently Canon has almost half of the top-end digital market -- AKA, camera & lens sales.  They have a lot more lenses than anyone else to choose from, and apparently better Customer Service, too.

I have no idea if they have stopped printing user manuals for their high-end cameras -- like Sony apparently has.

Edited by XKAES

I have little idea how many RF lenses there are, but Canon's RF mount is closed. The E mount is open, so there are all the Sony lenses, plus the lenses from several other lens makers.

I suppose you can count EF lenses in the count for RF cameras, but you can use all the EF lenses on Sony, as well, courtesy of Metabones (and others). And you can use a lot of other brands as well - I have a friend who uses her M mount Leica (and other brands) lenses on a Sony.

I thought Sony had passed Canon in camera sales, but maybe that's changed again - I don't pay attention to the camera league tables. Even if Canon has sold more camera in the past year or two, I wonder how many of those were EF -> RF upgrades, rather than that conversions from other brands? I was curious about Nikon a while back, and asked my local camera store - they said a lot of Z camera sales, especially higher models, were to people upgrading cameras like the D8xx to Z7 and Z9 (I imagine the holdouts are probably all over the Z8 now 🙂). I didn't think to ask about Canon.

For sure, the top-tier digital market is still evolving as everyone is moving to mirrorless,  A quick look at B&H shows that they currently offer 20 top-tier digital cameras from Canon, 18 from Sony, and 16 from Nikon.  All are mirrorless except for 7 from Canon and 8 from Nikon.  Sony has no DSLRs.

The good news for shutterbugs about the shift to mirrorless is that just about everyone's older lenses will fit on just about anyone's newer cameras -- with adapters and their limitations, of course.