Is Sony finished with FF Fixed lens? No follow-up for RX1?

Edward

In my opinion, the release of the RX1 was one of the greatest achievments in digital photography, but it is 3 years old and has some weaknesses that could be corrected with software update or would certainly be addressed with the release of a new camera.

For my wife I will purchase a Sony interchangeable lens camera FF to replace her Nex7. 

However, for me I am looking for a FF fixed lens camera and would prefer something newer than the RX1 and would prefer Sony product over the Leica Q.

Should I hold out for an updated version of the RX1, an "RX2" if you will, or should I purchase the Q?

If I purchase the Q, I will be disappointed if RX2 released as I am certain that the RX2 will be better than Q.

There were so many rumors of an RX2 and all the talk just died away when nothing materialized.

Is Sony finished with fixed lens FF?

Thank you very much for your advice and help.

Edward.

We're all in the dark, just like you, about Sony's future.  There've been a lot of rumors about a potential RX2.  Chances are it will blow the Leica Q out of the water, and probably at 1/2 the price or less.  The RX1 is still an amazing camera.  If you can hold out another year, I think the odds are in your favor for an RX2 update. 

Consider this, RX1 was released in 2012 September for around 3200 with EVF. Now 2015 September you can get a A7m2 + 25mm Batis for around 2800 ... thats 400 less than the RX1+EVF and 1300 less than the Leica Q with grip (4120).

As it stands, the existing RX1 would have trouble against either the A7+Batis or Leica Q.

Perhaps a different camera altogether, a very compact e-mount camera with some special compact Zeiss AF primes. Perhaps even Zeiss branding on the camera.

The RX1 is my favorite camera .. i just love the lens and the small size + sensor

i'v been waiting for the next one "RX2" hope they release it this year!

i would love to see a faster lens 1.8 .. they can with the curved sensor

+ 42mp with the S35mm 4K + and a minimum focus of 5cm that will be my dream

come on sony hurry up and take my money!

I had the RX1R for a short while, the only let down for me being AF/MF capabilities.

The Leica Q is a lot stronger here, and if nothing comes up on the RX2 in the next month or two - I think I might have to get the Leica.

I'm with you .. the Leica Q is amazing with the 28mm + f1.7! .. couldn't ask for more

the price is not the problem for me .. the only thing i don't like about the Q is the video (( the lack of manual exposure etc ))

i will wait for sony's next camera and decide after that

I'm with you .. the Leica Q is amazing with the 28mm + f1.7! .. couldn't ask for more

the price is not the problem for me .. the only thing i don't like about the Q is the video (( the lack of manual exposure etc ))

i will wait for sony's next camera and decide after that

I've ordered the Leica Q now,

Also selling ALL my other photographic equipment.

1 camera, 1 lens - no more burden of gear.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you all for your information.

I really appreciate it.

I really like the way that Sony puts the competition on notice pushing the limit, but was not satisfied with the Nex 7 AF in dim light.

The Q seems to have a handle on that between the 1.7 and the current processing.

I will hang out a little longer to see if a curved sensor "RX2" comes out otherwise maybe like others get Q.

Edward

Haha, buying a Q doesn't buy you peace of mind. Being satisfied with it (or any other gear) is peace of mind. If you have a Q and feel frustrated when you see a subject that would require a 75mm focal length, your peace of mind goes out the window...

Peace of mind with the Q or the RX-1 has 2 dimensions. One is the very compact nature of the apparatus. I understand that. The other one is being comfortable with just one prime. I understand that too. Many times, even when I have more than one prime in my bag, I only shoot with one. Either a 35mm, or a 50mm.

Either way, if Sony comes out with an improved RX-2 (35mm lens upgraded sensor, tilt screen, viewfinder), I'd probably get one.

I was also holding out for an RX2 - it would have been my first full frame. And I also would probablyhave been happy to just have that one camera. The whisper quiet  leaf shutter really appealed - on top of all the other attractions. But I really wanted a flip out screen. Kept waiting but its been so long I finally dug up my savings and bought the A7Rmk2.  Would still love an RX2 if it ever comes but cant see ever being able to afford another big camera purchase....

• 2 weeks later...

I too would eagerly buy an updated RX1. The current model is undoubtedly a great little camera, but it misses on a few things (no integrated EVF, clumsy MF operation, fixed LCD) and the recent tech advancements (BSI sensor along with high MP count, IBIS) would be very nice to have. Not to mention the prospective curved sensor paired with a dedicated and refined Zeiss lens. Now BSI curved sensor + 5-axis stabilization is probably quite an engineering challenge.

Thought I'd come back to say that I do not regret selling everything for a single camera/focal length.

The Leica Q is a great camera to live with for street and travel, I put a few photos from my flickr on here https://leicaqstreet.wordpress.com/

Something I could not do with the RX1 unfortunately due to the focussing drawbacks, the Leica is very slick in this department - very fast AF, i've hardly touched the MF so far!

Thought I'd come back to say that I do not regret selling everything for a single camera/focal length.

The Leica Q is a great camera to live with for street and travel, I put a few photos from my flickr on here https://leicaqstreet.wordpress.com/

Something I could not do with the RX1 unfortunately due to the focussing drawbacks, the Leica is very slick in this department - very fast AF, i've hardly touched the MF so far!

Nice images!

Focusing is definitely a weak point of the RX1 compared to the Q.

I'm not sure what an improved RX1 would leave to the Leica though, except perhaps build quality (not sure really) and the Leica "gestalt" some may be attached to.

28mm vs 35mm is of course an important consideration. I also want to drop everything - that is, not much, since I only have two lenses along with my DSLR - for a single camera, and 35mm is really the sweet spot for me.

I'm surprised that the OP thought that the RX1 was "one of the greatest achievments in digital photography."  What are the advantages of being unable to change to a different lens (especially being limited to a single focal length)?  I don't understand why a company would design such a restrictive camera.

Please enlighten me.

I'm surprised that the OP thought that the RX1 was "one of the greatest achievments in digital photography."  What are the advantages of being unable to change to a different lens (especially being limited to a single focal length)?  I don't understand why a company would design such a restrictive camera.

Please enlighten me.

Not being interchangeable means they can concentrate on optimising a single lens to minimize size and maximise optical excellence / image quality.

The RX1 is the smallest full frame camera i think?

I will live with a single focal length for the foreseeable future, i don't see it as a negative :)