Transferring video from A7Siii to computer

danielfromnz

Hey there, I'm trying to work out a nice work flow for getting video from my new A7Siii to my computer. I record via USB connection + the Sony remote shooting software (Imagine Edge Desktop). Images automatically download after I shoot, but video is only recorded to the SD card

So far I can: 
• Eject the sd card and use a reader. Fine, but not ideal. 
• Switch off the PC Remote Function via the menu. This works but I have to mess with the camera menu's and unplug and reattached the USB cable to make this work.

Ideally I want to hit the record button via the Sony software. Then when finished, download it to the laptop (Mac). 

Any ideas on things I could try to make it a purely digital experience (not messing with the camera & cables)? 

- Dan

Ok, I think I might have something that works if anyone else has this issue. I connected the camera to my mac via the 'wifi access point' method. This allows me to remote control the camera. Then, after I finish recording I plug in the Mini USB cable to my laptop, it automatically switches the camera to USB mode without going through the 'PC Remote - Off' menus. Not beautiful, but I can now leave my camera setup and work from my laptop recording. ?

• 3 months later...

Hello, I'm having trouble implementing your problem solve, which is probably a few steps further than I need at the moment. I'm trying to transfer video files from my new Sony ASIII to my Macbook Pro as the correct card reader doesn't arrive until tomorrow. The USB Mode - Mass Storage , is appearing on the camera and the files won't appear in the PMHome finder. Any advice would be greatly appreciated 

• 2 weeks later...

Hey there, I'm having a similar issue with importing a test clip (raw 4:2:2)  to my Macbook (2.3 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5., 8 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3,Intel Iris Plus Graphics 655 1536 MB) Only seeing it as a Quicktime and on importing only audio will import.  Hoping not to have to purchase to type A card reader importing from camera till my Ninja Vis set up. Using Capture One21 to import. clearly I'm missing something....

Thanks

G

• 2 weeks later...

Tranferring photos and videos is 100% possible with a USB cable and the camera in USB Mass Storage mode (Smartphone control and remote PC connection tutned off). The tricky thing I had to figure out the hard way is the LOCATION of said files. I'm on macOS so my apologies to Windows users if things are slightly different. When connected, any memory card inserted in the camera will get mounted, named "Untitled" and "Untitled1". Depending on how read/write priority is set in your menus determines which on they are on.

Photos Path -- Untitled\DCIM\100MSDCF\
Videos Path -- Untitled\PRIVATE\M4ROOT\CLIP

A couple of notes: For the Photos path, the folder named '100XXXXX' may have varying letters, not sure. For the Videos path, sometimes letter case changes. Sometimes it's 'PRIVATE'. Sometimes it's 'private'.

Good luck! 

Edited by mekevinb