Programmable Record Button

Guest xyz

I have an idea for a firmware update for Sony A7S, A7SII, RX10II and all other Sony compact video camera with XAVCS codec. Why not make the shutter button programmable to act as a record button in video mode? Make it a single press record button so when it is half pressed the focusing will not trigger. I know the record button was purposely put to the side by design to avoid accidental recording but sometimes it can cause you to miss an important moment when video capturing due to its being hard to find to press. I think this simple update will make a lot of video shooters happy because it is logical for them to use the shutter button as their "main recording button".

What do you guys think of this idea?

Also for touchscreen compact video camera like the Sony a5100, why not add a record button UI on the screen and just place it to the very right corner. It will make touchscreen focusing and do stop/record easier without having to move the thumb all over the place. Again, it is just a simple yet logical idea to make the experience easier for the user to use.

I'd like that option. But it must be an option not the default. Presumably this is something that could be implemented via firmware or is is just speculation?

I think this idea is a much needed firmware update for videographers even though it is totally irrelevant to photographers who are the majority users of the A7 series cameras. I know I'm not the only one who is asking for this kind of option and yes, it must not be by default hence I asked for it to be programmable. I really hope they do add this in the future or via optional Play Memory download w/ additional video features like live color grading. It would be so awesome if Slog2 profile can be color graded internally :D