Trouble with external mic on a6500. What is going on?

So, I was having a problem with "Wind" noise ruining my videos.  After doing some research, I bought I the Rode VideoMicro to try to improve my outdoor videos in the wind.  It does help significantly, but it has created another problem and I don't know what to call it or what is causing it.

When the microphone is attached to the a6500, when I first start recording, the volume is like super loud.  Even in a totally quiet room with no noise, the audio captured is really loud with white noise.  Once I start talking, the audio tapers down to a normal level after about 10 seconds.  But if a stop talking for a while the volume goes back up really loud and stays there until I start talking again.

This does not occur with the built-in mic.  It only happens when I use the external mic.  I don't know what is causing this.  Can someone help explain to me what this is and what I can do about it?

Here is a sample for you to hear what I am talking about.  In this sample, I just finished talking and was silent for a while and you will hear just how loud the audio gets.  What you are hearing is the sound on my AC fan in the background.  The loudness is being caused by the camera, not the fan getting louder.

https://youtu.be/ZpbTD-7kT_o

The camera is equipped with an "audio limiter," which means it automatically limits very loud sounds like an orchestra playing, and it also BOOSTS the audio when you're recording in a silent room. That would explain the hussy, white noise you get in a quiet room. The camera is trying to amplify nothing, which results in that hissy sound. 

Make sure you record video in movie mode, and you could try turning down the audio recording level to 3 or 4. See if that helps. Here's a link to more info: 

https://helpguide.sony.net/ilc/1640/v1/en/contents/TP0001273799.html

By default the the audio level is set to 25 I believe.  I have reduced it to 5 with no effect.  The audio you heard was at 5.  I guess I can lower it to 3, but I doubt it will do much since reducing it from 25 to 5 did nothing.  Again, I want to sate that this only occurs when using an external mic. 

• 2 weeks later...

I would like to turn this function completely off.  I don't know what it is but you said it " BOOSTS the audio when you're recording in a silent room"

I do not want or need the camera to help me control the audio.  I want the camera to record only the NATURAL sound in the environment.  I will control the VOLUME in Post Processing.  What ever this feature is, it is DESTROYING my videos and makes me want to take sledge hammer to the A6500 and pour sugar in all the gas tanks of the Sony engineers that thought this stupid idea up. 

Well, I have figured it out. The issue is caused by the Sony Imaging Edge remote control app. After doing a lot of testing, I found that the issue does NOT occur when recording video while using the on-camera record button. I almost always use the Sony Remote Control app to record with, and it is the app that is causing this BOOSTING of the audio during periods of silence. The question is, WHY and HOW I can turn it off?

7 minutes ago, Johnhoward28 said:

The question is, WHY and HOW I can turn it off?

Avoid using Sony Software. Sony obviously is not a software company. And providing (and improving) a free software post-sales is not Sony's top priority.

On a completely unrelated note: have you read Sony's "privacy" statement before downloading this piece of software?

I thought so.

2 hours ago, Chrissie said:

Avoid using Sony Software. Sony obviously is not a software company. And providing (and improving) a free software post-sales is not Sony's top priority.

On a completely unrelated note: have you read Sony's "privacy" statement before downloading this piece of software?

I thought so.

I am confused by your response.  I am using a Sony camera that is running Sony Software.  How can I NOT use their software?  Is there something I am missing in your comment.  Are you saying I should buy a Canon or Nikon?  I don't understand what you are saying.  And what does their privacy policy have to do with the issue I am trying to solve?  I am so confused by your comment.    

9 hours ago, Johnhoward28 said:

The issue is caused by the Sony Imaging Edge remote control app. After doing a lot of testing, I found that the issue does NOT occur when recording video while using the on-camera record button. I almost always use the Sony Remote Control app to record with, and it is the app that is causing this BOOSTING of the audio during periods of silence

You gave the answer yourself already. I highlighted the crucial parts.

Sony is very good at producing excellent hardware: bodies, sensors, lenses. I'm not advising you to switch to another brand.

Just stay clear of any "add-on" software, like PlayMemories, ImagingEdge and you name it. To be very precise:

You bought the hardware, and Sony advertises certain properties and guarantees them. You can return the hardware for a full refund, if those properties are not present during at least the period of warranty.

The software you mentioned is an add-on. You didn't buy it - you can't buy it. Sony grants you a non-exclusive blabla right to use it as-is, without any guarantee whatsoever. You don't have any rights regarding these pieces of software other than to use it and STFU. Sony also reserves the right to terminate any feature of these pieces of add-on software at any time.without prior notice. In return, you have to grant Sony and it's affiliates quasi-unlimited access to all kinds of your personal data, for quasi-unlimited purposes. This is what they call "privacy". Sony's add-on software appears to be a vehicle to syphon off as many private data as possible. Just read the fine print.

The internet including this forum are full of reports from people complaining about malfunctions or quirks in this Sony add-on software. If you want to debug those, or learn how to bypass them, you're on your own. If you don't like that, uninstall the software and get a commercially available solution with guaranteed functionality and compatibility. After all, remotely triggering the camera isn't all that exotic.

1 hour ago, Chrissie said:

You gave the answer yourself already. I highlighted the crucial parts.

Sony is very good at producing excellent hardware: bodies, sensors, lenses. I'm not advising you to switch to another brand.

Just stay clear of any "add-on" software, like PlayMemories, ImagingEdge and you name it. To be very precise:

You bought the hardware, and Sony advertises certain properties and guarantees them. You can return the hardware for a full refund, if those properties are not present during at least the period of warranty.

The software you mentioned is an add-on. You didn't buy it - you can't buy it. Sony grants you a non-exclusive blabla right to use it as-is, without any guarantee whatsoever. You don't have any rights regarding these pieces of software other than to use it and STFU. Sony also reserves the right to terminate any feature of these pieces of add-on software at any time.without prior notice. In return, you have to grant Sony and it's affiliates quasi-unlimited access to all kinds of your personal data, for quasi-unlimited purposes. This is what they call "privacy". Sony's add-on software appears to be a vehicle to syphon off as many private data as possible. Just read the fine print.

The internet including this forum are full of reports from people complaining about malfunctions or quirks in this Sony add-on software. If you want to debug those, or learn how to bypass them, you're on your own. If you don't like that, uninstall the software and get a commercially available solution with guaranteed functionality and compatibility. After all, remotely triggering the camera isn't all that exotic.

Okay.  Now that makes more sense.  Thanks for clearing that up.  I plan on getting a real remote now.  You got any suggestions for a good one that is not going to cause me hidden issues that are going to drive me bug battty nuts like this stinking app did? 

Edited by Johnhoward28

• 5 months later...

Hi my Sony a6500 is giving issues while recording with external mic. I tried Fifine wireless mic as well as a mic with wire. Both mics work great otherwise. When i record audio via external mic, either sound is not recorded at all (95% times) sometimes it gets recorded very low in bits and pieces. Plz advise what to do. How to fix it