What is the Next Step In buying a Lens

SomertonL

Hey Everyone, 

So I have been an a6000 owner for several years and I would consider myself an intermediate level photographer. Currently I have the 16-50 and 50mm 1.8 sony lens, and old primes (FD mount) that are not very sharp. I am looking to upgrade to a better lens with the intention of getting some "training" from a more professional photographer. 

What is the next progression of lens I should consider? It seems the 18-105mm F4 and 18-135mm are not "professional" lenses considering image quality based on some reviews I have read. 

Is there an E mount Full frame I should consider and be ahead when I do eventually get something like the A7iii? 

My uses will be for family photography, weddings and events. My budget right now is around $1k, but I understand the recommendations for pro lenses go much higher. 

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated as I am pretty well lost at this point. 

-Bryan

• 5 months later...

Your old prime lenses may be suffering from old "film" UV filters.  Digital cameras require a good digital filter as "film" filters often cause ghosting when used on a digital camera.  If your FD lenses have UV filters try them with the filter removed.

I have high quality digital UV filters on all my lenses including older glass from rangefinder Nikon's.