Your thoughts and suggestions needed

Hi all,

New to this forum, because I am looking for thoughts and suggestions... My question is about sticking with A-mount or moving to E-mount... Probably a known topic, and I have read a lot of opinions about this, but still not sure what to do.

Current kit:

- Sony A580 APS-C

- Sigma 70-200 f2.8 DG lens

- Sigma 24-70 f2.8 DG lens

- Sigma 50 f1.4 DG lens

- Sigma 10-20 DC lens

I am considering an upgrade to full-frame, but am not sure what I should choose, considering the doubtful future of the A-mount. I see four options - perhaps there are more... I know I will most likely lose the 10-20 DC APS-C lens... That's okay... 

- Go for the A99ii - no problems with adapters, and no problem with the lenses. I could be happy for a number of years, and wait and see what A-mount will be doing

- Go for an A7 (I am looking at the A7Rii) - would need an adapter (Sony LA-EA4?) to be able to use A-mount lenses. Might switch to E-mount lenses over time

- Go for the A7, sell the lenses, and buy new E-mount lenses to replace them 

- Sell EVERYTING, and switch to a different brand...

I am doubtful because Sony has not really commited to A-mount - their latest statements that I was able to find where somewhat vague, and did not give me the assurance that A-mount is here to stay. Also the 3rd party lens makers are also reducing the amount of A-mount glass... 

I would love to hear your pro's and con's for these choices... Your suggestions are much appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

J.

I'm very pleased with Sony's adapters for A-mount lenses 

onto FE bodies ... I have both versions of it. Also, IIRC the 

10-20mm DC Sigma works well on FF from about 14mm. 

Having a number of A-mount Maxxum-era lenses and like 

yourself being dubious about the future of the A-mount as 

a system, an A-mount body was outa the question. Being 

almost as dubious about the future of Sony in general, any 

serious purchase of FE lenses was also outa the question. 

I bought a used a7-II, no FE lenses, and use only my old 

Maxxum lenses. While this limits my access to state of the 

art technology, it does fully utilize my old lenses at least as  

fully as when they were shooting on film, PLUS the benefit

of the IBIS in the a7-II. YMMV. 

Guest Jaf-Photo

The question is always what you need versus what you want. The difference is that what you need is much cheaper than what you want.

The answer lies in what type of photography you do. Will you benefit from higher resolution / full frame / faster AF?

You have two very good lenses, the 70-200 and 50/1.4, so you would not gain a lot by replacing them. The others are fully usable.

My reasonable recommendation would be to get A77 II. First, it has a very good sensor which delivers sharp, detailed photos with excellent colours. It also has the fast AF you may need for moving subjects and the eye AF you may need for portraits. Plus the other bells and whistles of a modern camera.

If, on the other hand you have a huge pile of cash to burn without it affecting you or your family, I'd say you should go for whatever you want, just to get it out of your system. Replacing your system with A7R II and current lenses will cost you 20 times more than my suggestion. Will it be 20 times more useful? That's highly debatable.

I would be aware of the problems with adapters.   I went from full frame Nikon to Sony E and have never found an adapter that can transfer auto-focus to my A7Rii.   Apparently Canon lenses work better, but the whole adapter thing never worked for me.   Also, be aware that mirrorless FF like the A7 line have slow, clunky shutters, compared to FF Canon or Nikon.    I do think the future of camera technology is in mirrorless FF, and Sony is light years ahead.

You say "I am doubtful because Sony has not really commited to A-mount - their latest statements that I was able to find where somewhat vague, and did not give me the assurance that A-mount is here to stay." But that's a bit vague.

How, specifically, does "commitment to A-mount" or assurance it's "here to stay" affect you personally?

Are you concerned about declining prices for the A-mount lenses you own on the used market?

• 1 month later...

My reasonable recommendation would be to get A77 II. First, it has a very good sensor which delivers sharp, detailed photos with excellent colours. It also has the fast AF you may need for moving subjects and the eye AF you may need for portraits. Plus the other bells and whistles of a modern camera.

My first thought was to fully agree with Jaf-Photo. Upgrade to the A77ii. It is reasonably priced and you will have full used of all your existing lenses without the need for an adapter. Then I looked at your lenses. All your lenses are full frame format except for the 10-20 DC lens which is APS-C.

If you move to a full frame body, A99ii, A7ii, A7rii the improvement in image sharpness and detail is very noticeable.

I have 10 full frame A mount lenses and was always a bit disappointed with the images I was getting using Sony G lenses. I moved from a A77 version 1 to the A99ii this year and have not looked back.

My suggestion to you is select one of the following possibilities:

1. If you can afford it buy the A99ii. All the bells and whistles with no adapters.

2. Wait a little while for the A7riii to be released and pick up an A7rii including the LA-EA3 adapter at a discounted price. My son has an A7rii with this adapter and he is always borrowing my A mount lenses.

3. Sell everything and buy the APS-C A6500 and stick to dedicated APS-C lenses.

Option 3 might be the cheapest and best option.

Good luck with your choice.

Let us know what you decide.

Regards,

David

Guest Jaf-Photo

My first thought was to fully agree with Jaf-Photo. Upgrade to the A77ii. It is reasonably priced and you will have full used of all your existing lenses without the need for an adapter. Then I looked at your lenses. All your lenses are full frame format except for the 10-20 DC lens which is APS-C.

If you move to a full frame body, A99ii, A7ii, A7rii the improvement in image sharpness and detail is very noticeable.

I have 10 full frame A mount lenses and was always a bit disappointed with the images I was getting using Sony G lenses. I moved from a A77 version 1 to the A99ii this year and have not looked back.

My suggestion to you is select one of the following possibilities:

1. If you can afford it buy the A99ii. All the bells and whistles with no adapters.

2. Wait a little while for the A7riii to be released and pick up an A7rii including the LA-EA3 adapter at a discounted price. My son has an A7rii with this adapter and he is always borrowing my A mount lenses.

3. Sell everything and buy the APS-C A6500 and stick to dedicated APS-C lenses.

Option 3 might be the cheapest and best option.

Good luck with your choice.

Let us know what you decide.

Regards,

David

A77II has much better IQ and performance than A77. The IQ of the A77 is best described as mushy, while the A77II is sharp, detailed and vibrant. Therefore, it's incorrect to rule out A77II based on your experience with A77.

People who actually need a flagship camera and can afford it, don't ask for help with their upgrade. They just buy the camera and get on with it. As the OP has been using a APS-C camera until now, I assumed that he was fine with the format.

Like I wrote, the OP has two good lenses, which happen to be FF. They also work excellently on crop sensors. Unfortunately, the OP has a very weak normal zoom and wide angle zoom. If he upgrades to A99II, he would have to upgrade those lenses too. Then we are talking about a huge wad of cash.

I recently saw new A77IIs being cleared for $550. I defy anyone to find a camera with better price/performance.