A little review on the FE 16-35mm F4 ZA OSS

Joshi_H

• 2 weeks later...

Hmmm.

So I can do this

Sony to be launched 24-240 on A7000

Tokina/Tamron or any third party 16-28 with adapter (2.8)

Or

A7000 + 10-18 F4

A7 + 24-240 (Walkabout)

Keep my Samyang 14mm F2.8 as a walkabout

Buy a 50mm 1.8 240$ lens as my potrait lens with TB announted A7000

Well....I bought and recieved the Sony Zeiss 16-35 f/4.0 lens.  It is one hell of a lens.  I would put it right up there with the Nikon 14-24 f/2.8 in terms of resolution and sharpness in the corners.  I love the lens and will be taking more and more shots as the days go by.  It stays on the body of my A7.  I think it has a permanent home there.  

Well....I bought and recieved the Sony Zeiss 16-35 f/4.0 lens.  It is one hell of a lens.  I would put it right up there with the Nikon 14-24 f/2.8 in terms of resolution and sharpness in the corners.  I love the lens and will be taking more and more shots as the days go by.  It stays on the body of my A7.  I think it has a permanent home there.  

Howdy Sonic. I ordered this lens and I'm really looking forward to using it. I'm hoping that it will be able to replace my Tokina 11-16 which nestles on my D7000 -- that lens is no slouch either for crop sensor cameras! I don't think it will be able to best my manual focus 35mm though. The bokeh on the Sony looks very lack luster from what I've seen - but that's why we have primes.

• 1 month later...

Well, no. It is not even close to the Nikon 14-24mm  in sharpness and it is one full stop slower than the Nikon. Dxomark also reports "higher than expected CA".

http://www.dxomark.com/Lenses/Compare/Side-by-side/Nikon-AF-S-NIKKOR-14-24mm-F28G-ED-on-Nikon-D810-versus-Sony-FE-Carl-Zeiss-Vario-Tessar-T-STAR-16-35mm-F4-ZA-OSS-on-Sony-A7R___813_963_1467_917

• 3 weeks later...

I have had this lens for over a month now and it is truly awesome.  It is as sharp as you could ever need a lens to be, with the corners absolutely perfect from about f/5.6 or f/8 on.  Colors great, with good correction for distortion and vignetting.  Almost impossible to make the lens flare.  And added surprise bonus is that bokeh is very nice at f/4 toward the long end of the lens.  Unless you absolutely must have f/2.8, IMHO the choice between this lens and the Nikon 14-24 f/2.8 or the Zeiss 21mm f/2.8 for the Sony A7 series is a no-brainer given their size and lack of communication with the camera  (and I have owned both of these other lenses and remain a big Zeiss fan).  Just get it and start shooting.  You will be happy.