FE 70-200mm F4 G OSS

You can see a Flickr gallery of images captured with the FE70200 lens by clicking on the link

https://www.flickr.com/photos/markgaler/sets/72157649569731144/with/14501560194/

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

You can see a Flickr gallery of images captured with the FE70200 lens by clicking on the link

https://www.flickr.com/photos/markgaler/sets/72157649569731144/with/14501560194/

Hi Mark, 

I have asked this question in a separate thread but haven't gotten too much feedback.  I am seriously considering buying the 70-200 but am now a bit undecided as to whether to purchase this lens or the Samyang 135 f2.  I am wondering if you have any experience with both of these and how they stack up.  I can afford the 70-200 so price is less of a factor for me.  I do like auto focus but am certainly comfortable with MF.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!

I have used the FE 70200 F4 G OSS and the SAL 135 F1.8

I think the FE70200 is more flexible in being able to shoot a broader range of subjects, e.g, it is good at 70 if you don't own the 2470 and cover the shorter focal lengths with the native CZ primes (35 and 55). I also need the AF and OSS for many of the things I shoot. The brighter aperture of the 135 is useful but I would tend to only use these brighter apertures in manual focus as depth of field becomes very narrow. This makes the 135 a good portrait lens but not so useful for following a subject or grabbing quick shots.

• 3 weeks later...

I enjoying the 70-200mm f/4 G OSS very much, also with my Sony A6000 (105-300mm OSS)! 

• 1 month later...

A visit at a rose garden with the A7 and FE 70-200mm OSS!

I am seriously considering buying the 70-200 but am now a bit undecided as to whether to purchase this lens or the Samyang 135 f2. 

I have the Samyang, but not the 70-200.

It is a nice to use and sharp lens, the comparison depend on use.

The weight for each is the same, the 70-200 is a touch longer, so the Samyang may fit into your bag more easily? I suspect a native FE 135 could be shorter, as the Samyang basically has a permanent converter stuck on it - the optics are the same for DSLRs.

The Samyang's main advantage is the aperture of F2, so if you want blurry backgrounds at medium ranges it would have an advantage. It also focuses fairly close at under 1m (80cm I think, which feels close at a 135mm focal length). If you have the A72 or A7R2 with IBIS then you might have use for it in low light, but otherwise I suspect the 70-200 will perform better there. A 135mm is difficult to hold steady without a fairly fast shutter speed, so IBIS or high ISO (e.g. A7S) are helpful in low light.

Apart from those two factors, the 70-200 probably wins on most things, e.g. autofocus and focal range.

Overall I'm happy with the 135mm, especially for the price. A few examples on Flickr.

• 4 weeks later...