Sony 70-400 + Adapter or Sony 70-200 2.8 plus 2x extender

Xterra

If you have use for the 400 mm reach I'd go with the 70-400 lens. It is a great lens, and probably better than the 70-200 with the 2x teleconverter.

If you will mainly use the lens as a 70-200 then go with the teleconverter. I don't think you loose much with the 70-400 (some low end f stop) but optics of both lenses are great.

Guest Peter Kelly

I would tend to agree with 'Waldhaus', but I'll be curious to see how the new lens and teleconverter shapes up!

Obviously a main consideration will be the price, with the 70-200 plus TC being more expensive (I imagine!). That said, so much depends upon the TC performance.

A while back I read a review (Kurt Munger I think) comparing results using the 300 f2.8 with both the 1.4x and 2x TCs. In the end, the conclusion was that the 1.4 was probably worth it, but the 2x was not really any better than simply cropping to get the same FoV.

It would be a really useful exercise when the new lens is here to find the best way to get the reach and one I've often pondered (as there are a few ways now!)

Do you get the longest natural focal length, or shorter with a TC, or crop, or get a smaller native sensor, or all of them together? So much choice and so little money...

I have used both lenses with the 7R mII and the LA3. They work well. I have not tried the teleconverter. I have used it in the past, but feel it isn't as sharp. Also you loose autofocus. At least on the Alpha series cameras.

Did you really use the Sony FE 70-200 F2.8? Where did you get your hands on it?  :o  That's the lens he is inquiring about using with the also "not-yet-available" TC. You are obviously referring to the FE 70-200 F4!

I will get the new 70-200 + 2x extender.

I'm selling a canon 7Dm2 with the 70-200 + 2x extender, which I preferred to the 100-400.

The main reason was that I used the 70-200 on a full frame camera quite a bit as well, and then added the extender for being on the beach getting windsurfing shots.

I will try the same thing with the A7R2 & A6300, I suspect that the A6300 will not be as well tested when using A-mount or other adapted lenses either.

It is a bit risky as the new lens and A6300 aren't reviewed yet, let alone reviewed together, but I'm not a pro so I can live with some bugs...