Firmware 2.0 for A7Riii is Available

I have downloaded and installed 2.0 this morning. It worked without any problems.

However, Capture One 8.3.3 cannot read the uncompressed ARWs. I tried Iridient and Affinity Photo, it works with both. Also ACR and RawDigger seem to work.

Files are 85.7 MB long. Reading and Writing to the SD card takes somewhat longer. 

Pushing the shadows shows a bit less noise and a cleaner image. But these are just my first impressions.

I'm waiting for Phase One now...

Regards

Klaus

I updated last night.  I have taken two photos since.  One compressed one uncompressed. Both imported into Lightroom as normal.

Then I took them into PS and added a really absurdly high contrast levels adjustment - with identical settings to each file.  The results are below:-

Certainly not scientific however there is more background information in the uncompressed file on the right for sure.  I think this means luminosity blending will be better with the new uncompressed files - especially when adding curves and levels to over or underexposed parts of the images.

All of the images are on my site at:  http://www.jeffmurrayimaging.com/Camera-Test/i-q59sgHP They are available for download as well.

A7Rii%20compressed%20uncompressed%20comp

I anxiously awaited this update and installed it without problem only to find out that the RAW files are now 85.4 MB each. This is ridiculous and shows that Sony isn't really listening to photographers needs. End of statement.

The clue is in the word, "uncompressed"... :)

I updated last night.  I have taken two photos since.  One compressed one uncompressed. Both imported into Lightroom as normal.

Then I took them into PS and added a really absurdly high contrast levels adjustment - with identical settings to each file.  The results are below:-

Certainly not scientific however there is more background information in the uncompressed file on the right for sure.  I think this means luminosity blending will be better with the new uncompressed files - especially when adding curves and levels to over or underexposed parts of the images.

Interesting test. Your test image shows a significant increase in the data stored in the uncompressed raw file, especially in the highlights. What we will need to see is, in normal shooting, is there a perceivable quality difference. I look forward to playing with this on the weekend.

For me, the file size of the raw file is not significant. All my "keepers" are stored as TIF ProRGB images, so the final image on disk is around 300 Mb anyway.

I just did the upgrade and it worked for LR. I did some comparisons, brought the raw files into Lightroom, both compressed and not... and could see a very tiny difference in my tests. I could tell the difference if I looked very closely, but it was not obvious on my shots which was better. I would not want to put down money on a guess. But, it did seem that if you had a very important shot and wanted to get the most out of your camera, you should just switch to uncompressed.

My normal workflow involves converting all my raw files to DNG raw, and once you do that, both the compressed and uncompressed file sizes look the same, that is about 42 to 58MB depending on the subject.

So for me, I'm sticking with compressed in the camera to keep it working a little faster, unless I have a big setup shot that calls out for the absolute best I can get.

So in the real world for those who have been in dire need of this uncompressed 14 bit, does it really make a huge noticeable difference from compressed format?  And to what extent?  From what I photograph, I can't tell the difference.  Perhaps I'll just sleep easier knowing that the camera can do uncompressed regardless of my aging eyes.

I anxiously awaited this update and installed it without problem only to find out that the RAW files are now 85.4 MB each. This is ridiculous and shows that Sony isn't really listening to photographers needs. End of statement. 

So, we cry about wanting something, then when it is given, we cry again wanting something else????

No, they listened to photographers words, and delivered EXACTLY what was asked.

For the very few who like to underexpose their shots 5 stops intentionally, they have their issues solved.

On the other hand, if they do end up delivering a lossless compressed version (or even just packing the files properly) it will be interesting to compare the results to the uncompressed version

I think this has to be a joke post.