Focal in advertisement between Mount E and Mount E APS-C

Hey,

I'm new :) and i'll buy a Sony A7S soon ( hope that the Sony A7S mark II will be here in the same time or just after !!! ).

I'm trying to find the lens i'll buy.

For the moment i choose these ones : 35mm F1.4, the 28mm F2 with both "fish-eye" and "ultra wide angle" options for night shoots with the Pilotfly H1+ .... and for mountaineering : the 24-240.

My question was on the Sony website : when i see the Mount E lenses page : i can choose the 35mm or APS-C , if i choose the second one, there are some others lens.

If on the APS-C page : when Sony says : 28mm Mount E APS-C : what will be the result on the SONY A7S : a kind of 24mm with black corners ? or a kind of 32mm with black corners ?

I'm really sorry for my poor english, i'm french.

Btw , many thanks for your answers ... this board already answers for few things about the A7S :)

Manu

Hi nslmanu

Actually no APS-C lens will be working really fine on a full frame camera without using the APS-C crop mode or crop heavily in post. There's one exception: The 10-18mm F4 OSS works around 13-15mm in full frame (probably with some color shift in the corners and more distortion).

Bear in mind tough: On the A7s you would be left with only 5MP of resolution in APS-C mode!

Many many thanks Mathias :)

You mean that on the A7S : you can choose a lens mode ? Full frame or APS-C ? If yes, i can choose any APS-C lens so ... but if i understood correcly : i'll have only 5Mp pictures in APS-C mode, right ?

In fact i'd like to use this camera for video. I'll have the same way ( APS-C mode ? ) in video with less resolution ?

You're welcome.

Exactly! It has an auto setting where it detects an APS-C lens and engages the crop mode or you can just choose manually.

Yes, this also works in video as well. No 4k in crop mode I guess. 4k is around 8MP in 16:9.

Thanks again :)

Just read this :

about 3 APS-C lens ...

the 10-18 starts to works correctly at 12 ....  around.

So now it's really clear : i can use some aps-c lenses on the Sony A7S but the picture will be cropped and with less pixel ... Same for video mode as it sounds logical !

I'm a little sad because some lenses i'd like are in APS-C mode .... :( that's life !!!

Mathias : Lac Léman ? i'm near Gva :)

the 10-18mm F4 for example ...

There ist a very good 16-35mm f4 for Fullframe. Seems to be very well regarded with all the reviewers. It even offers more reach than the 10-18.