70-200GM not mounting/registering on A7III

I have a three year old 2.8/70-200mm GM which has recently started to intermittently not appear/register on one of my two three year old (bought at the same time) A7III bodies. No F number appears when I mount the lens and the screen stays black, but then if I leave it a few days it may start working again. The strange thing is that it seems to work absolutely fine on my other A7III body. I read on a very old post on here that because the 70-200mm GM is heavier than a regular lens it can damage the locking pin on the lens mount of the camera (see attached screen-grab), but my 2.8/24-70mm GM works perfectly on that particular body, so would the body use different locking pins depending on the lens?  Has anybody else had this issue? FYI I'm a full-time pro with barely a few days without work at this time of year and have been told that there's a minimum of 14 working days turnaround for repairs at my nearest official Sony repairer here in the UK, hence my concern.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

All I can say is that plenty of people had had similar problems -- not necessarily with that same camera or that same lens.  Apparently just a minor disconnection in either the camera or the lens can do it.

All I can suggest is make sure all the contact between camera and lens are clean -- but you've probably already done that.

You may want to read past messages on this FORUM.  Some people went the repair shop route, some with backup gear, some just moved on to other brands.

Fortunately it's not a common problem -- just a BAD one.

After mounting the lens with the camera turned on, try jiggling the lens back and forth.  If there is any amount of play, the contacts might be moving past the intended locking point making the camera lose contact with the lens.  Jiggling the lens like that may reestablish the contact and the lens may work as usual.  Something like this happens at times with my Pentax DSLR and Tamron Adaptall-2 lenses with the PK/A Adaptall-2 mounts.