Looking for 2nd camera

Hello Everyone,

I currenlty have A99ii and I sold my A99v. I had a Konica-Minolta 7D that really liked but it stopped reading cards and I can't fix it. Therefore, I'm looking for a second camera. I want to stick with Sony A-mount because I don't want to have to buy new E-lenses. Does anyone have any suggestions? I don't want to spend over $1000 or I'd get another A99v.

Guest Jaf-Photo

It depends. If you shoot things like portraits, product shots, landscapes, I can really recommend an A900 or A850. They have really good IQ at low ISO and sell for around $700. If you shoot fast moving things then A77II is a good option that will give you more reach than A99II. They're under $1000 used or new. Alternatively, you could get another 7D for $200.

Hi Jaf-Photo,

Thanks for taking time to respond. FYI at this point I am mostly a wildlife, landscape photographer. I used to shoot portrait when I worked for a national studio and briefly had my own wedding and portrait studio. I am now retired and shoot primarily for myself, and occasionally as a volunteer for various non-profits. However, I guess I have to include sports photographer since my grandsons play high school sports and I have 2 elementary school grandkids, girl and boys that will be in sports soon. Well, you know, I guess I have to include portraiture too since I also take lots and lots of family pictures both formal and casual.

Now that you know more about me let's get back to the camera. Honestly I forgot about the A77ii. That is an excellent choice. I considered trying to find a used 7D because I really liked that camera, it did beautiful jpegs, and because I already have the battery grip, external power pack, and several other accessories. But I figure I'd likely end up soon having issues with it too. Besides, I think I should get away from MRW raw file. I hadn't considered going back to as far as A900 or A850. Aren't they both full frame? I know the 900 is. I'll have to look up the 850. I'd like not to have to buy another v-grip but doubt the 7D grip will work with any other camera since Sony abandoned the np-400 battery. I've also considered getting another A99v since controls are similar to A99ii, it's full frame and I really like the way grip attaches, without the proboscis -;) but I really don't want to spend over $1K and still have to buy another grip.

Well, you've certainly given me food for thought and all I need do is the research. Thanks again for the feedback. If you have any more thoughts or suggestions please send them my way.

Best regards,

George

Guest Jaf-Photo

Then it sounds like A77II might be the one for you. It has very good af tracking. It uses the same grip as A99II. There's a rumour that A77III is about to be released, so if you can wait, there might be a lot of bargain MkII:s going.

A900 and A850 are full frame cameras with wonderful colour reproduction. Their AF is a bit too basic to use for sports etc, so it may not be the best option for you.