FE 28/2 vs FE35/2.8

Cojo

• 2 weeks later...

I bit the bullet yesterday and ordered the 28mm!! It will be here today. Looking forward to taking it to Mexico next week and giving it a good going over.

Trying to decide if I want to take the 90mm with me as well.

Heh, I need to start saying the FE 35 f/2.8 is the best thing ever. Maybe then I will sell my copy..... $500 and it can be yours....... For that price it is more reasonable. Instead, I slam this lens, then show what the 28mm can do,, and my 35mm never sells.........

Lucille,

Your photos with the 28/2 are stunning! Clearly, your eye and that lens see the world in a similar way. I too am more comfortable framing most scenes at 28mm than at 35mm and I feel claustrophobic at 50mm.

Recently, I've been doing more of what might be described as a variation on street photography - photos that include friends on twice-weekly hikes in the Arizona desert. I find that my familiar 28mm view relegates the people to insignificance, so I have been trying my old 35mm and liking it a bit more - it's kinder to old faces and bodies than the 28.

But, I'm running into a new problem: all my wide lenses are legacy glass - manual focus, manual everything. I want unposed, candids of hikers on the trail, but I'm just not fast enough - candid people keep moving, right out of focus! And with all those pixels, my 7RM2 is very unforgiving of sloppy focus. I'm sorely tempted to try out one of these new-fangled autofocus lenses.

Have you used both your 28 and our 35 in eye-AF or any of the continuous/tracking AF modes? How do they perform and how do they differ?

Also, is your 35 still for sale? Thanks,

Stan

I am not a professional photographer but the 28mm f2 lens is hands down one of the best "bang for your buck" lenses I have ever owned. I have used many of my father-in-laws high end Cannon and Nikon 28mm lenses and my Sony that cost half as much produces better pictures that are much more consistent, that is probably do to the camera (A7ii) more so but again my 2 cents might only be worth a penny but a big thumbs up for the 28mm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Used the 28mm quite a bit at a wedding this past weekend. I enjoyed it. Bit of getting used to shooting that wide, but got some shots I just wouldn't be able to otherwise. 

I did notice in post that it does require q contrast boost compared to the 55mm. Which is really not a big deal. 

Cabo in 3 days... can't wait to play with it out there.

I couldn't begin to say if it's a copy dependent thing or not, but I went for the 35mm f2.8 Zeiss Sonnar and find it to be right on target with the superb 55mm f1.8 I have as well. They BOTH exhibit superb color rendition, lack of CA and in my case at f2.8 my copy is sharp from one side to the other and in the middle. At f2.8 it can render nice bokeh if close to the subject. I have no complaints on the 35 as it is my ideal wide variety as my style of shooting for wanting anything wider than the 55mm f1.8. To each their own I guess, it's anything BUT boring in my copy. Perhaps the way I have my A7RII setup who knows.

I'd have to say im extremely impressed with the 28mm. For the price its a great buy. I'll be sure to post some of my pics from Mexico soon.

I also just purchased the 35 f1.4
Got a great deal on it, and we will be running two sony bodies this year so it will be nice for each of us to have a "wider" lens.

I am quite enjoying my 28mm. Has a lot of character and is very sharp. An extremely good lens for how much you are paying. My only complaint is that i am getting slight AF hunting here and there, but not the end of the world. Here are a few shots from the 28. 

24485350000_5d164efedf_h.jpg

24398868579_c3e1f2232b_h.jpg

24663110001_aafbdf00c9_h.jpg

24490994770_2795747958_b.jpg

And as gimmicky as it may be.....  the 16mm conversion lens seems great as well. There may be a slight drop in IQ, but honestly i haven't noticed any yet.  Im very satisfied with my choice.  Some samples of the 16. 

24798391606_e78bf39e07_h.jpg

24706810652_5a2d450184_h.jpg

24798384146_1da0ad320d_h.jpg

• 1 month later...

The 35/2,8 is a great lens. A bit to expensive, but works as promised. Use it with A7s as "always with me" set.

But be aware that 35mm and 2,8 don't give you a super shallow DOF! The lens is great for a 2,8, but I can imagine why people find the pics "flat". You have to get close to your subject.