verticle price restrictions

I am close to purchasing an A7II and putting together some accessories and lens list, etc.  Although Sony and other manufacturers have minimum price restrictions, which are legal, I was wondering if there are retailers that can actually get these cameras and discount them - with the "US Only" warranty service by Precision Camera? 

I find that this camera sells at the restricted price of $1700 at many"authorized"  dealers - or $1200-$1400 grey market, that requires sending the camera to Japan for any warranty work.  Are there any alternatives to either of these choices so that I may get some discount, but a full US service warranty?  I am not, at present, considering refurbished ones, but may consider "open box" ones, with the US warranty.

Just buy from a reputable source. Sending a camera to Japan to have it worked on is no big deal. Sony does not refuse to work on Sony cameras regardless of what country you purchased the camera from. That is a Nikon or Canon ploy, and not the way Sony plays. Nikon and Canon are attempting to make a restricted local market out of a global market. Don't be fooled by misinformation. If you buy a Sony with aJapanese warranty you simply mail it to Japan. Of course, if you buy a Nikon, Nikon will not work on a grey market camera. Who cares? There are plenty of well trained techs to fix a Nikon, and if you buy a Sony it is a non-issue. IMHO, Nikon's quality control is shameful. Their arrogant attitude is not working for many, and if it were not for their plethora of good glass, their ship would be sinking already. Soon Sony's EVF and focus tracking will be as good or better than that of the DSLRs with their flippity floppy mirrors, and Nikon will have missed the boat. Yeah, they will be around a long time, but it is hard to catch a winner like Sony when you wait too long. I predict Sony will continue to be innovative, and will be impossible to catch with even newer and more amazing technology for its camera bodies.

markphoto4u

I checked mailing via USPS (UPS "insurance" is a joke if you have a claim) - priority mail to Japan is about $68 (using my own package about $75), then insurance for $1700 add about $16. So sending to Japan for warranty work would be $84 to $91.  But I don't know if Sony will charge for shipping back.  If they do, then a claim would wipe out at least half of the price difference between a US list price sale and a grey market one plus the waiting time for repairs and shipping.  How long?

Sony price 1699.99 (2)

(2) Reseller price may vary

I think its an MSRP 

Q: One of my suppliers marks its products with a Manufacturer Suggested Retail Price (MSRP). Do I have to charge this price?

A: The key word is "suggested." A dealer is free to set the retail price of the products it sells. A dealer can set the price at the MSRP or at a different price, as long as the dealer comes to that decision on its own. However, the manufacturer can decide not to use distributors that do not adhere to its MSRP.

In Germany the price, after removing German Sales Tax (but not import duty) is around 1400 USD. Well, nice law that one .... you are free to compete but if you do we will not supply you, so then you can't compete or participate. Get the feeling _your_ interests are not being looked after?

Wait a few months, a new A7 should be released soon enough and then usually the price falls for the older model, its already fallen everywhere else ........

That's the risk you take with grey imports. If there's a problem you send it back to where/who you bought it from. To expect anything more is being a little too unrealistic. I know in some parts of the world Nikon and Canon wont service locally on grey imports - I probably would prefer to send a camera back to Japan or Hong Kong!

I just bought a A7RII here in Australia - I couldve bought from HK cheaper, but for peace of mind and knowing I can pick up a phone and call somebody who is local, or walk into a service agent and talk direct to the person, thats worth the extra money I paid to buy it locally.