LAEA-3

I have the excellent FE70-200 4.0 on my a6000. I am considering the 70-400 alpha mount and so I would need an alpha to e mount adapter. I need both image stabilization and fast autofocus because I want this setup for wildlife, mostly birds.

Sony says the adapter is compatible with "full frame" e mount cameras. They are silent about APS-C in this context.

Does anyone have any facts or experience to share?

You will lose image stabilization since no A-mount lens have that feature. A-Mount always used sensor stabilization. A few exceptions from Sigma but sometimes not compatible.

In this particular case, LA-EA1 could also work.

Beware these adapters along with A-Mount lenses can have slightly different AF speed and behaviour and unless someone has tried the exact same combination of Body/Adapter/Lens, it is difficult to predict if it will be satisfactory for you mostly for something as demanding as bird catching.

I just tried A-mount 85mm F2.8 and this works well with LA-EA3 and A7II

I also tried A-Mount 70-300 F4.5-5.6 G and it kind of works pretty fast when AF is called upon to focus from far to near but whenever the new focusing distance is a little further, the AF hunts for 2-3 seconds before finding focus. You may not like that.

With LA-EA4, it does not do that but then it is using the adapter's AF sensors instead of the camera's

Yes, with A-lenses is recommended to use the LA-EA2/4 for fast autofocus. I tested my new a6300 with the two adapters and my main lens (SAL 24-70 F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss).

Verdict: The autofocus is not satisfactory with the LA-EA1/3. Sometimes hunts and is slightly slower. With the LA-EA2/4 is as fast as on my old dslr A700.

I was using my Nex-7 with the LA-EA2 and the 70-300G for a while. AF worked as expected. No complaints there.

Handling was a little different, very small camera body vs large lens. When mounting these larger lenses you will need to be carrying the package via the lens and not the body. Certainly a two hand task for shooting.

Keep in mind the 1.5x crop factor.  70-400 x 1.5 is a lot.  At the long end you will be seeing 600mm.  That will be good daylight with tripod (or equivalent) shooting only.

I couldn't easily walk around with the 70-300 on my Nex.  I now use the same lens on my A99, which makes it much easier to hand hold and get some nice results.

One of the good things about the LA-EA2/or4

is the tripod socket on the adapter. Same

good thing as the MetaBones. I never use the

tripod socket on the bottom of these rather

small cameras.

Also, for hand held use with somewhat bulkier

lenses, the LA-EA2/or4 improves ergonomics.

It actually makes the camera a bit larger and

a bit more comfortable in the hand. The odd

looking protrusion on these adapters may look

awkward to the eye but is verrry friendly to the

left hand underneath the lens+adapter combo.

i have LA-EA2 + 4 and use it with several A-Mount Lenses...works great on APS-C Body´s...i had LA-EA 1 and AF was not working 

The LA-EA2/4 Adapter has also the ability to work with lenses that have no AF Motor like the old Minolta Lenses.

with Lenses have SSM or HSM (Sigma) motors the AF is very  fast!

i use SIGMA 105mm 2.8 Macro HSM OS lens that has awesome IQ and comes close to the FE 90 Macro for 1/4 of the price and AF works very fast and smooth 

and.......OS is great........  so if you need OS look for a Sigma A-mont lens with OS like the 50-500 APO OS or better go for native lenses with OS

! Sigma APS-C tele zooms don´t have OS on Sony Alpha A mount!

After considering it for a long while I decided, for the moment, that it's an expensive kluge. I bought a MF Nikon AI-S 300, the last of that series, on eBay. I already have the Metabones adapter for my old Nikon lenses anyhow. Yes, I will not have IS nor AF. The right answer would be for Sony to have more e-mount lenses beyond 200mm. I think the f4 70-200 is a very fine lens on this camera. I also wish they would offer tele-extenders for this camera or for more than just one G-Master lens.

Canon seems to own the nature/wildlife shooters' loyalty. But I don't want to schlepp a full-frame SLR. I suppose I will just have to adjust to life as it is.

Thanks for the very knowledgeable and understandable responses.  I will update this thread or begin one with a more applicable title after I have some results from my retro solution.

Now to save my pennies for the A6300.

Could be. I use an iPhone. Strange is that

it's only with his messages.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

I type for typical PCs which view in landscape

orientation. Most peeps use their i-phones in

portrait orientation. Try rotating your phone.

Most of the pix posted to the forum are also

in landscape proportions.

And yes it's only with my messages, because

I type in column width, using carriage returns.

And no I ain't gonna change, cuz I often post

rather lengthy explanations, instructions, etc

which would look like boiler plate if typed in a

continuous stream with no carriage returns.