Sigma 35mm F1.4 art lens on A7II - canon with fotodiox or A-mount with LA-EA3

goncalo

Hy,

I'm thinking to buy the sigma art 35mm F1.4 for my A7II. I mainly use the sony zeiss 55mm F1.8 but i need one good prime 35mm with AF, and less expensive possible.

With the new firmware update i think it will work fine, i saw some videos on youtube, but i'd love to ear some experiences with AF.

I have one question. Which one i should buy, the one for Canon, i have the fotodiox adapter and works fine with canon lens, or i should buy the Sigma art for A-mount and buy the LA-EA3?

​* i tried the canon L 100-400mm on my A7ii with fotodiox after firmware update and worked fine!

Many Thanks,

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Seeky,

I want to escape the Metabones as i only have one canon lens, and is the L 24mm Tilt Shift F3.5 manual which works great with the Fotodiox. 

The metabones + sigma art 35mm is so expensive and for that price i would go to the Sony Zeiss 35mm F1.4, but i don´t won't a 35mm so expensive.

I think i gonna bet in the sigma art 35mm with the LA-EA3, seems it works really good with the A7RII... but did´t get so much information with the A7II after the firmware update.

http://www.mikekobal.com/sony-a7rii-la-ea3-and-3rd-party-lenses-which-work-which-dont/comment-page-1/#comment-30511

• 2 weeks later...

Hy,

I'm thinking to buy the sigma art 35mm F1.4 for my A7II. I mainly use the sony zeiss 55mm F1.8 but i need one good prime 35mm with AF, and less expensive possible.

With the new firmware update i think it will work fine, i saw some videos on youtube, but i'd love to ear some experiences with AF.

I have one question. Which one i should buy, the one for Canon, i have the fotodiox adapter and works fine with canon lens, or i should buy the Sigma art for A-mount and buy the LA-EA3?

​* i tried the canon L 100-400mm on my A7ii with fotodiox after firmware update and worked fine!

Many Thanks,

Buy the Sony A Mount one - without a shadow of a doubt...

Use Sony's LA-E3. Forget Fotodiox and Sigma MC-11.

For all we know, the Fotodiox is flawlessly engineered

and built. But, it IS a third party device, and it seems

that every day the compatibility glitches, and even a

few disasters, are of increasingly frequent occurrence.

Sigma has broader experience than Fotodiox, and yet

they still insist on reverse engineering code instead of

paying the license fee for OEM code ... so they clearly

learn little to nothing from broader experience.

Various "Reviews" or "Lab Tests" may show one or the

other choice to offer superior AF performance etc etc.

Forget performance reports and keep your whole outfit

as safe and compatible as possible. Go with OEM gear

wherever it's an option. Where no OEM option is offered

for a given approach to photography, seriously consider

whether you REALLY do NEED to use that approach.

There's more than one way to skin a cat.

Thaz my dos pesos. YMMV. Statistically speaking, you

will probably ignore my suggestion. Rotsa ruck, Rudy.

This will depend on where you are in the world, but I'd suggest that a second hand Sony Zeiss 35mm 1.4T* would be a better choice than a brand new Sigma plus adapter. Yes the Sigma lens is probably even a little better (though that's subject; sharper yes but it's not like the Sony Zeiss isn't tack sharp as well) but you will lose many of the AF functions. And here in the UK at least, you can buy a more or less brand new, but still second hand, version of the Sony Zeiss for close to what it would cost to buy a brand new. It will still be more expensive, but with all the benefits of native compatibility.

Hy,

Many Thanks,

The Sigma art for Canon and Sigma own E-mount adapter - Sigma now offers FULL native hybrid support, but only on selected lenses on canon or sigma mount.