Hello from farnborough

JohnCW

Hi

A quick introduction as I've just joined the forum.

Been a keen amateur for many years now and migrated to digital via a Fuji bridge camera and Canon EOS 1100D. I now have an Alpha 7 which was a present last week from my wife and daughters for my 60th. A whole new world and I'll be looking for advice as I find my way around this new camera.

Thanks for looking

John

Hi Tim

I'm certainly planning to have great fun with this - just wish the print in the guide was a bit bigger!

The kit lens is a 28 - 70 OSS.

Apparently a big advantage is the ability to use older high quality film camera lenses via adapters. May look into that in the new year. Or maybe just look at 'native' fit lenses?

Cheers

John

Yes, you can get an adapter to fit a wide range of lenses. Many would disagree with this but i'd only buy adapters from 1. Novoflex and 2. Metabones. Thery cost more, certainly, but (in my opinion and without any scientific evidence!) you get what you pay for. I use Leica M lenses (Voigtlander/Zeiss) and Nikon - manual focus - in addition to Samyang (my interest is almost exclusively video) and a couple of the Sony offerings. Have a look at ebay and you can pick up Minolta and Contax-Yashica glass very reasonably. Or, of course, have a look at the Samyang range as they offer reasonably high quality at a very attractive price (the quality of the lens is possibly less important for video than stills however). Ask elsewhere as I have no experience but there are also adapters for Canon AF if that's preferable. You'll find a lot of posts here along the lines of "I want N lenses - what should I buy?" All a bit pointless in my opinion - better to state what you want to do (I want to take pictures of sunsets/birds in flight/grandchildren playing) and someone with that experience will offer advice. Again, only a personal opinion, but I get the impression that a lot of people want to get away from the "stigma" of a kit lens asap... Why? Its a decent enough lens - at least until you're certain what you want! Who knows what might be in the Christmas box!