Is focusing on the FE 28/2 loud/rough?

kona

Is the focusing/aperture action on the FE 28/2 louder than other FE lenses? Or is this unique to the used copy I just purchased?

Focusing at f2.0, my copy is surprisingly loud with a bit of vibration/roughness. Its similar to screw drive lenses. Considerably less stealth than any of the other FE lenses I've used (55/1.8, 90/2.8, 28-70 kit). I'm considering returning it, but wonder if another (new) copy would be similar.

Others have a similar impression? Any thoughts appreciated.

Is the focusing/aperture action on the FE 28/2 louder than other FE lenses? Or is this unique to the used copy I just purchased?

Focusing at f2.0, my copy is surprisingly loud with a bit of vibration/roughness. Its similar to screw drive lenses. Considerably less stealth than any of the other FE lenses I've used (55/1.8, 90/2.8, 28-70 kit). I'm considering returning it, but wonder if another (new) copy would be similar.

Others have a similar impression? Any thoughts appreciated.

The 28/2, 55/1.8 and Batis 85/1.8 all produce a slight lock on noise on acquiring focus

The FE 28/2 is completely silent acquiring focus @ f2 as I go through the stops  2.8, 4 etc it's makes the acquisition click.

FE 55/1.8 same but a tad quieter but makes the acquisition click at 1.8 right through

85/1.8 same click on acquisition right through.

If I put my ear right up to the LCD the motor on the 28 is louder than the 55 which in turn is louder than the 85 which is almost silent

Absolutely NO grinding noise here.

HTH

Quick point for thought none of the Sony or Sony/Zeiss lenses have any helicoid or screw focus systems in place. They use electro-magnetic systems in tracks; therefore there is no true manual focus, manual focus is "by wire". This is very out of the box design by Sony. Sony lens focus should be near silent. You can see the design difference on the LENS RENTAL DOT COM website Roger Cicala and his team disassembled on contiguous days a Canon 35mm f1.4 ii and a Sony Zeiss 35mm f1.4 focus systems out in the open and compared.