Dust inside front lens

raptor

Hi, any help with dust inside the front lens on a Sony 200-600mm telephoto lens.

I've had the lens a couple of years and I'm happy with it.

Nevertheless I have an issue with it, namely a small dust spec or mould growth

on the inside of the front lens.

The spec is about 1.5 millimetres round.

I researched the Sony official site for an idea as to how much to fix the issue and their starting price is around five hundred pounds.

I think I paid around £1600 for it from London Camera Exchange - used.

Now come on, I don't think I want to give another £500 to sort it out, and it shakes my confidence in Sony's

reputation. Was the breathing of the zoom the flaw in the design or what.

Any advice or comment is welcome.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I can't tell from the photo if it is dust or something else.  When did you first notice it and has it changed in size?

If it is dust, don't worry about it.  It is far too small to affect any images.  Internal dust has always happened to lenses -- even when you try to keep them scrupulously clean.

But, if it is not dust, it could be a problem because it could be something that gets bigger -- mold, fungus, oil, etc.

Dust will not get bigger.

Can you provide a higher magnification photo?

Reply to XKAES

Hi and thank you for replying, I want to keep the lens.

I noticed the spot about a week ago, but I reckon it could have been there up to about a month ago.

I don't often tip the lens over to look at it because it's always been spotless, so I haven't noticed any change in size.

Just wondering, could a solution be to use a magnifying glass under the sun and neutralise/burn the offender

assuming it is a growth, or is that an outrageous idea?

I've managed to get a decent shot of the culprit.

Please advise.

The last thing I would try would be to "BURN IT".

What I would do is try to figure out what it is.  Can you post a magnified photo? 

It's probably just a piece of "dust" that cannot be burned, anyway.  I have lenses with dust in them.  They have no effect on anything.  Is Marilyn Monroe less beautiful because she has a tiny mole on her cheek?

Every single lens you own has dust in it. Dust under the front element looks bigger on most lenses because the front element magnifies it.

Fact is, you will not see that dust in any of your images. Dust on the sensor, yes, you can see that with a small aperture and a flat background (like a clear sky). But dust near the front of the lens will be invisible. Have a look at the Lens Rentals post “Apocalypse of Dust” to see examples of how big something has to be at the front of the lens to be visible (they put quarter inch pieces of postits on the lens!). 

You might be able to pay someone to clear the dust from your lens, but it will return. 

Hi and thanks for the replies, I posted this yesterday but had to start a new topic as the

facility to add files wasn't showing up.

I hope you can see this. I also said the dust has been thee for possibly a month

because I rarely tip the lens over to look at it. I can't see the new post I submitted yesterday

but it's early, I'll take a closer look later when I'm more awake.

Thanks for now.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• 3 weeks later...

No matter the care and the environmental sealing of some pro lenses, dust finds its way to get into the lens. More often than not, it is already there inside the lens when bought new. Focusing and zooming means changing the size of the lens and this creates a vacuum effect that sucks air from outside. For the same reason, over time dust finds its way on the sensor of compact cameras even if they have built-in lenses.

If it is dust, nothing to worry. It does not make sense to have the lens professionally cleaned, because they have to disassemble it and if not properly reassembled, you could end with a worse lens. Meanwhile dust will return simply using the lens.

The situation is completely different if you have mold or fungus growing into the lens. If this is the case, action is needed because it will keep growing and could damage the coating of the lens. I have seen lenses kept in a wet basement for years completely destroyed by fungus. It is quite uncommon, but could happen if lenses are kept in a wet environment or put away in a closed bag wet, for example after shooting under the rain or after cleaning with a wet cloth without allowing them to dry properly. If this is the case, the best thing to do is to have the lens professionally cleaned and in meanwhile keep it away from other lenses.

The only way to know, as somebody already suggested, is to look at it and see if it grows.

• 3 months later...

Hello all, I am updating the status of the Sony 200-600mm which has a dust deposit inside the front lens.

Happily the dust hasn't grown, rather I think it has died. I see the small blemish has faded and is

much more transparent.

The size of the dust/blemish is still about the same as last September.

I reckon the dust is actually a tiny piece of dandruff, I see this sort of thing on my specs, and when I try to remove it with a dry cloth, it smears, sort of proving it is a fatty substance.

The fact that the blemish has faded has made any interference with my images is negligible, whoopeee!

Thanks for all the help and advice.

Hi all, thanks for the advice and also the encouragement.

It's a bl**dy good lens and I was sort of crestfallen to think of losing it, but it

has all turned out good, I even tried that 'manifesting thing' and imagined and prayed that it would dissappear,

and dissappear it did.