FX30 Help!

Hi,

I just got an FX30, I've watched a bunch of videos on setting it up for the first time and I've arrived at setting the recording frame rate. For some reason I only have 50p, 25p and 100p available. There is no 24, 30, 60 etc as is shown in multiple tutorials.

Is there something I have missed??

Many thanks in advance for any help :) 

If you are in Europe, your camera would have arrived set to PAL. That's what gives you the 25/50 etc frame rate options.

NTSC gives you the 30/60 options, but may not be fully compatible with everything around you.

I suspect you may have been watching tutorials coming from the US, where they have been condemned to using NTSC because they were bad!

Is there a particular reason you want 30/60? Or is it just to match the tutorials?

NTSC isn't a purely US format anymore. The only difference to PAL now is the bit rate 24/30/60p compared to 25 and 50p.

I live in Europe, too, but I use 60p anyway. I usually don't film displays so this isn't an issue but I have a somewhat better resolution concerning movements (of objects or the camera) compared to 50p. Slow motion is also better.

But the main reason is the compatibility. Every modern device can use 30 or 60p but many can't do 50p. E.g. computer monitors usually only use 60Hz (or 120) and smartphones usually can only do 30/60p which is important when I want to combine these with videos from my A7IV in a project.

Edited by Snofru

Thanks for your answers folks :)

Well, my wife and I have stepped up from using iPhones to make videos and my personal preference in editing and motion graphics is for 30fps as that's the source frame rate. My videos are for large TV's in my work so compatibility is kind of an issue and we don't film displays either (for now at least)

So, in NTSC mode, the FX30 gives me 59.97, 29.97, 23.98 and 119.88 and not the rounded frame rates we are used to. As we are new to this kind of camera, we don't know if that is important or not?? And is there an option in the camera to change to rounded fps?? I can't find it!

Ideally, we would be combining camera and iPhone footage.

The tutorials were from all over the world actually, New Zealand, US, Asia etc. 

In fact all of these "NTSC" frame rates are odd ones like 59.97p. When they write "60p" it is the odd number used for convenience. I also use the simple 30p/60p etc. because I am lazy. No need to be concerned.

BTW: Filming with 60p in a "50p country" may have issues with displays and some sources of artificial light. Not a concern for me but could be a problem in certain situations.

Edited by Snofru