Some questions about the A7IV

Amadooze

Hey! I’m new to full format and “more professional” amateur photography (so far only with my phone and at a few occasions with my brother’s 80d and a6400) so I’m a full noob.

I just got a 7 IV a week ago and recognised some things that I would love to be clarified. Please don’t bash me, I don’t know anything about the camera yet, at least not a lot.

Are there different versions of the A7IV being sold? (Except for Kits with lenses)

It does make some noise when it’s on, but you only really hear it when you’re close or when it’s placed on a table for example. It’s probably normal, but is it?

The shutter does have a little mark on it, is it normal? It’s a very fragile part so I’m a little worried. Here a picture: https://imgur.com/a/D87cynI

When I use the screen on the back and want to switch back to the viewfinder I need to press the shutter release half way before. (When the screen is tilted and away from the body, not when its showing towards the user while being clipped into the body) It then makes a noise, a bit like when you switch between screen and viewfinder on a dslr (mirrored). I’m not talking about the focus motor noise, there’s another noise coming from the camera (https://imgur.com/a/aRxnhpV) Why? Maybe the in body image stabilisation ?

The pictures often don’t feel sharp. I know it’s a lot about the lens I’m using: it’s the very cheap 50mm 1.8 from Sony. Is the lens the reason? I also have the kit lens 28-70 3,5-5,6. Does someone have any example images so I can compare them to the quality of mine?

The sd card compartment’s lock moves a little when i grab the camera out of the pocket, it moves quite a bit in opening direction (video: https://imgur.com/a/iKFn77C) is that normal? Especially because of water and dust resistance.

Thanks a lot for your time!

• 7 months later...

1. Only one version of the A7iv that I know of.

2. Should be no noise while on sitting, unless its trying to focus on something it can't.

3. If you mean shutter blind? That component is extremely delicate. So...

4. Not sure.

5. The 50mm 1.8 is a very very poor lens.

6. The sd card door is a slide in lock. Its not like a regular hinge. As long its secure when its closed.

Hope this helps.

4. Pulling the screen out tells the camera you want to use the screen, not the viewfinder. If you want it to auto-switch to the viewfinder, push the screen flat against the camera body (with the screen showing, or the screen against the body - either works.

5. You will have difficulty getting a sharp image using the cheap 50mm f/1.8, especially if you don't stop down - try it at f/8. The 28-70 kit lens may be a bit better, but you'll still need to stop it down. There are better lens - the newer 28-60mm is a better kit lens, with a reputation for sharpness when used carefully. If you can afford something more, the 20-70mm lens is very good.

6. the card door is designed to slide back to unlock before it opens.