How to clean lens body

roelrebosa

Dear All,

Can anybody help me how to remove the dirt (as shown in attached file) in lens body?

Thank you.

Best Regards,

Roel

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I would try just water on a cloth, I like using wet wipes since its very mild soap and disposable. I also have used a "LCD Screen Cleaning" solution for practically everything (seems to be some sort of mild soap and water).   

Since its rubber and plastic, just stay away from harsh chemicals or normal household cleaning products that contain ammonia.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I suggest starting with a shop vacuum and while the vacuum is running on full suction, hold the dirty part nearest the vacuum, and then carefully brush off the dirt so it immediately goes away from the camera and directly into the vacuum cleaner. Do not brush off the dirt on the opposite side from the vacuum or then it goes around (and maybe into) the lens before it has a path directly into the vacuum cleaner nozzle.

Damp cloth and mild soap would be next. Put water on the cloth, not directly on the lens. Then wipe with a rolling motion so the dirt is pushed ahead of the cloth where it is immediately rolled up & off the lens. Keep changing cloth so you never wipe again with the part of the cloth that picked up the dirt on the initial rolling wipe

This is similar to one way to clean the surface of a lens. 1st blow with a Giottos Rocket blower, next lightly brush. Finally, have an ample supply of clean untreated cotton and some round wooden applicator sticks. Insert stick into cotton and roll up to make a giant cotton Q-tip. Wet with solvent (water can be good 1st choice, polar or non-polar organic solvents if needed). Roll the swab as you wipe, rolling the dirt up and off the lens at the front of your wiping swap. One rotation only, discard cotton, repeat with new cotton swab. You want to immediately get the dirt up and off the lens, not push it around.