Skye's Cuillin Ridge UK Mountain Photo Comp 2015 Finalist

cuillinade

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Two of my photos have been selected to go through to the finals of UK Mountain Photograph 2015.

Above is entitled "The Magic of the Golden Dawn" and was taken with a Sony A7r and 16-35mm f4 lens at 24mm and the results stitched, a lot of work but nothing compared to getting the photo.  I stayed in the mountain bothy (think derelict house) at Camasunary for 4 days and every morning got up early, waded across a tidal river mouth and climbed the rocks and cliffs to the summit of Sgurr na Stri in the dark so that I was ready for the sunrise. For three days there was either too much cloud and either the sun or the Cuillin Ridge was hidden or there was no cloud and the sky was uninteresting. But on the final day everything came good and the majestic snow capped peaks were revealed and lit by the golden sun rays.

The photo below I've called "Black Cuillin, Red Skye" and depicts my climbing partner at the end of a very long day during a two day traverse of the ridge which involved 3000 metres of ascent and 12.5 km of horizontal travel.  Hopefully it captures something of the rugged beauty of the mountains combined with the dangers of steep drops and the rapid onset of night.

To see the other twenty finalists and to vote for a winner please go to the link below

http://www.livefortheoutdoors.com/Latest/Search-Results/Competitions-and-offers/UK-Mountain-Photo-of-the-Year-2015-choose-the-winner/