7RII with 1.8 55 Sony/Zeiss - Chromatic aberrations

nickywaldo

If it is out of a RAW with C1 and no processing... Can you see this in the EVF (whith the magnifier) or on the JPG (if you shoot RAW+HPG) too? If this is the case go to a store and try another body. I've shot several 1000 pics with the A7RII until now and about 1/3 with legacy lenses. I didn't see anything like your two examples on a well exposed RAW. Maybe your lens ring is decentered on the camera.

I can see it in the EVF too, it's what sensor is reading from the light it gets.

As soon as I go to wide open with a lens everything falls apart. 

I shoot only raw. 

I tried two a7rii.

Do you have by a chance a Helios 44m or 77m lens? Maybe super-multi-coated takumar?

Hi there,

Just got the 7RII - love it so far.

Also got the 16-35 F4, 90 Macro and 55 F1.8

Waiting for my Batis 25 and 80 to arrive.

Did a test on the 55 1.8 today and noticed some chromatic aberrations wide open, so just ordered a second lens from Amazon and will compare and keep the best, but I am curious what you think of the result I got from my current 55 1.8? Have you heard for CA wide open? Is this about normal?

I have attached a crop from my P1 IQ250 and one from the 7RII 55 1.8 - please let me know if you think the 55 1.8 is normal, or worse than normal.. Included the P1 image as a reference.

Many thanks,

Nick

You can also see the glow, not just CA. The white areas have lost the details!

Thank you but it doesn't help, camera itself should not destroy the image quality. No other Sony camera does that.

Specially a 3200 USD camera with a 1000 USD lens.

Sad to say it, but no camera can promise that for legacy lenses. In fact most legacy lenses perform much worse on the other A7-series bodies, than on the A7RII.

The 55/1.8 is another issue. And I'm still surprised about your pic. and also about the low contrast difference between face and sky. may you share the raw file?

Do you have by a chance a Helios 44m or 77m lens? Maybe super-multi-coated takumar?

No, sorry.

Sad to say it, but no camera can promise that for legacy lenses. In fact most legacy lenses perform much worse on the other A7-series bodies, than on the A7RII.

The 55/1.8 is another issue. And I'm still surprised about your pic. and also about the low contrast difference between face and sky.

No, sorry.

I have many pictures like that one. The CA and glow are always present whenever there is a high contrast situation.

My NEX7 with SEL 50/1.8 has no such flaws. I will try using FE 55 on NEX7, it will probably give much better results.

It's cloudy right now so I'll have to wait for the Sun to come out.

Wide open with FE 55 is low contrast, high CA and glow.

This is a typical low quality I get with FE 55 wide open.

21924663524_7c99543c2a_o.jpg

If you look at 100% you will see CA is going around the face, hat, it's everywhere.

And I thought I nailed that focus.

Well I went through several folder of pics I have with my A7RII and the 55/1.8 and non of them shows this green-purple borders like yours. you can see it hardly on files I have burned white because it's overexposed.

Without a RAW file to test things out, I can't help you more.

Well I went through several folder of pics I have with my A7RII and the 55/1.8 and non of them shows this green-purple borders like yours. you can see it hardly on files I have burned white because it's overexposed.

Without a RAW file to test things out, I can't help you more.

Thank you for your help. I'll provide the raw file.

By the way, many reviews mentioned problems with color fringing with FE 55 1.8, but this strong, it's ridiculous.

Thank you for your help. I'll provide the raw file.

By the way, many reviews mentioned problems with color fringing with FE 55 1.8, but this strong, it's ridiculous.

just say me where you provide them and I try my best to help you.

The FE55/1.8 is not the best in terms of CA (see CA on dxomark), but only slightly on the corners.

There is something really wrong, check this out, picture on the left with IBIS ON, picture on the right with IBIS OFF!

Much stronger chromatic aberrations with IBIS ON.

OtXmldP.jpg

You can see CA in the EVF much more pronounced too, when IBIS is ON.

actually the right one looks similar to my experience. but I have IBIS always on. A simple question: do you have stadyshot to manual and a wrong focal range setted? (go to the menu -> camera -> 8th sheet -> steadyshot-settings (I hope this is the right expression. mine is in german, the 3rd from the top). switch it to auto. :)

You never have to turn that to manual. If you have a lens on, where the camera not know the length. it switches "auto"matically to the value that you set. otherwise it is turned off. with a legacy lens that does not send EXIF infos to the camera over the adaptor, you have to switch the value to the proper focal length every time.

actually the right one looks similar to my experience. but I have IBIS always on. A simple question: do you have stadyshot to manual and a wrong focal range setted? (go to the menu -> camera -> 8th sheet -> steadyshot-settings (I hope this is the right expression. mine is in german, the 3rd from the top). switch it to auto. :)

You never have to turn that to manual. If you have a lens on, where the camera not know the length. it switches "auto"matically to the value that you set. otherwise it is turned off. with a legacy lens that does not send EXIF infos to the camera over the adaptor, you have to switch the value to the proper focal length every time.

It's a native FE 55 1.8 lens, it is on automatic selection of steady shot. I also did it set on manual, 55mm.

For legacy lenses I set the mm manually.

It's a native FE 55 1.8 lens, it is on automatic selection of steady shot. I also did it set on manual, 55mm.

For legacy lenses I set the mm manually.

damn, I hoped this will be the solution... As you don't have the issue when steady shot is off, I would test more with that. How does the Helios works with IBIS off?

You may try to set the focal length manually to 400mm or more. Do you get heavy shakes when focusing? And does it not visibly shaking, when you set it to something like 35 or less?

just to look if there is an issue with your IBIS...

damn, I hoped this will be the solution... As you don't have the issue when steady shot is off, I would test more with that. How does the Helios works with IBIS off?

You may try to set the focal length manually to 400mm or more. Do you get heavy shakes when focusing? And does it not visibly shaking, when you set it to something like 35 or less?

just to look if there is an issue with your IBIS...

I didn't try helios or other legacy lenses with IBIS off in bright sunlight. I don't know why I didn't think of it. 

Then again, the main advantage of having IBIS is exactly that, using it with legacy lenses    :)

This is the climate we've been having last three days: 

22582793651_4bc196e716_o.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

You can do LCC pictures for every lens and aperture and just activate it on each picture. They correct light decreasing, color abberations, dust and whatever a lens can have. You can adjust all of them seperatly on each pic.

http://help.phaseone.com/en/CO8/Editing-photos/Lens-Correction.aspx

I'm using it on my favorite legacy lenses and it works just too good. Sometimes I put some vignetting back on the picture, just to have the leica M-lens feeling back. :)