a7rii long exposure color noise - quick rudimentary test

Here is the link to the raw file if you all want to have a play with it!

Remember this was shot at f/8 iso 100 at 199 seconds. I forgot to turn off steady shot so it was active which could play a part in magnetic noise (heat build up around sensor)?

This was using the 28-70mm kit lens. I have another shot at 30 second exposure and i could not find any trace of color noise and will upload that one too 

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jzvfvophp8htt22/_DSC9492.ARW?dl=0

Oops forgot to tell you that long exposure noise reduction was set to OFF in camera!

We are not alone looking for the same problem. Came acros this on the website of Fred Miranda and he figured out a sort of action to fix the images in Photoshop. He proposes a zipfile conatining an action.

See here: http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1380165/1

Actually you could run the action from Lightroom as a droplet....

Info here on steve digicam : http://www.steves-digicams.com/knowledge-center/how-tos/photo-software/how-to-run-photoshop-actions-in-lightroom.html

But I hink Sony will have to do something, to many people are concerned...

Try it out this evening...

Oops forgot to tell you that long exposure noise reduction was set to OFF in camera!

there you go with some snow in your raw..., 100% view of dark area in LR, exposure raised

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jlu1qzq8j6jf6ca/100%25.jpg?dl=0 or here https://www.dropbox.com/s/wd1euuyjg5g4i6x/100%25%2B2%2Bexposure%2B3.jpg?dl=0

maybe i`m too picky, or I should sell the 4K display...

Just tested with LE NR off, same result with lens cap on after 30 seconds. I don't mind it as it doesn't affect what I usually shoot and if I ever need to use LE I will just use it with Noise Reduction. However I hope they solve it because with this camera I was planning to try out some astrophotography.

As promised I tested my old a900 today. 

I underexposed and raised the exposure 3,4 EV like the guy on dpreview.

Left is with no LENR and on the right with LENR.

The LR at ISO 1600 has quite a bit Luminance noise reduction applied to reveal the "hot pixels"

It's screedumps at 100% zoom.

The capture One files look far better and the LENR files at ISO 1600 gets some weird artifacts in LR.

I tried to apply 100% luminance NR in CP1 and no weird artefacts is to be seen.

Best regards

David

aws4_request&X-Amz-Date=20150812T192615Zaws4_request&X-Amz-Date=20150812T192704Zaws4_request&X-Amz-Date=20150812T192741Zaws4_request&X-Amz-Date=20150812T192757Z

Yes, Dfine 2 seems to work well for a 2 minute exposure with NR turned off and shadows in Lightroom set to +100.  It doesn't remove all of the hot pixels, but the rest could be removed with the standard spot / dust removal brush.   This test was done on the image BEFORE I did the 2 month up blank image update, so I assume when I try this again, Dfine will be even better.  

1. Quick look at New DSLR vs Sony A7rII tests by Tony Northup. learned me that he didn't see any hotpixel. Would be interesting to know what Raw converter/program was used (didn't see the whole review).

2. Capture 1 no problem

3. Dfine ok

4. You can fix a part with the Dust & Scratches filter in PS ( but maybe star eater ?)

5. Didn't see any hot pixels in a dark shot ( lenscap on) problems with 100 iso 30 sec exposure so ok for use with big stopper ( a lot with 6400 30 sec)

So problem A7r2 + Lightroom ?

Let's hope , can be solved in a maybe near future

And this looked at the B&H interview and they didn't seem to have problems ( missed the first 30')

But t learned me A7r2 native iso 800 and A7s 3200, so for long shots at high iso the A7s still the brrest for astrophotography ?

All in all more convinced that it will turn out right. Lets hope

Otherwise will have to keep my A7s...not that big problem.

1. Quick look at New DSLR vs Sony A7rII tests by Tony Northup. learned me that he didn't see any hotpixel. Would be interesting to know what Raw converter/program was used (didn't see the whole review).

2. Capture 1 no problem

3. Dfine ok

4. You can fix a part with the Dust & Scratches filter in PS ( but maybe star eater ?)

5. Didn't see any hot pixels in a dark shot ( lenscap on) problems with 100 iso 30 sec exposure so ok for use with big stopper ( a lot with 6400 30 sec)

So problem A7r2 + Lightroom ?

Let's hope , can be solved in a maybe near future

And this looked at the B&H interview and they didn't seem to have problems ( missed the first 30')

But t learned me A7r2 native iso 800 and A7s 3200, so for long shots at high iso the A7s still the brrest for astrophotography ?

All in all more convinced that it will turn out right. Lets hope

Otherwise will have to keep my A7s...not that big problem.

I do think there is a compatibility issue between the mk II and LR.  I don't particularly like the default Adobe Profile and usually pick one of the camera profiles (usually landscape) but at the moment, the profiles are unusable as I find it puts some weird reds into the sky and elsewhere.  

I have upgraded to the Pro Sony C1, but can't really get my head around the software as my normal workflow is through LRCC and CSCC...

I have upgraded to the Pro Sony C1, but can't really get my head around the software as my normal workflow is through LRCC and CSCC...

I looked a few videos of Michael Woloszynowicz (https://www.youtube.com/user/vibrantshot) and used it for 3 sessions. At the beginning i was disapointed that I can only push to the end of the sliders, at the end I found out that I can put several layers over the picture where I can go further on and I'm glad the sliders arent going to the max. Everything looks more natural that way. And If I need more, I can put a layer over it.

What I really love is the sessions function. My wife went home yesterday, gave me the camera, In C1 I made a session for her shooting. I made the adjustements, exported all and all were in the same folder (with subfolders) at the end, without any explanation she could use it. At the end I just reopened my catalog.

I'm still not over the fence but I'll go further on testing. Tried a sky recovery yesterday, with a "cheap one sec" layer over the sky. In the original the sky is blue-gray without much details, like the sky at the horizont (where the layer with all the adjustments fading out).

I'm impressed how much detail is in the file (don't look at the color, I have a color management issue atm). If it is the camera or C1, I don't know. Maybe both. :) But I will try to copy that in LR too.

19924924874_7e02065668_b.jpgAbendhimmel by seflick, auf Flickr

Anyone else find the JPEG output on the camera to be pretty crusty? I'm not seeing the quality that I saw at 100% on any of the downloadable sample JPEG files. Im in pixel-peeping purgatory!

Sorry can't help you with that. Didn't used it yet. Only RAW.

Hot pixels 6400 iso, 30 sec exposure:

1 So downloaded Capture 1 

Since I'm a Lightroom user it doesn't seem to me the right way but must say that the interface is nice.

When I looked at one of my pictures the most of the hot spots were gone

It's a sort of "pixel fixer" under Noise reduction called "Single pixel", setting at 40 did the job

Even with the slider at zero the results are better than LR

2 Lightroom no solution

3 Photoshop : “Dust and scratches filter” does a good job to with settings “2 pixels” “level 40 – 50”

4 Don’t know for other programs

So for the moment seems a problem Sony-Lightroom but can be solved, I hope.

Maybe other programs that produced good images are doing also the “Capture 1” thing.

5 But seems to me that the big job has to come from Sony because the “remapping” doesn’t work on the, my, A7R2.

Maybe on some out there it works

How to control

• Take a jpeg extra fine, 6400, 30sec, lenscap on in a not to clear room
  • Change month +1
  • Take a second jpeg, same settings
  • Just open the images in a program that doesn’t do any auto pixel fix or other process ( not capture1) !!!
  • Look at the images at 100%
  • And....still a Galaxy under the lens cap 

Possible it’s a “forgotten issue” and we will have to wait for a new firmware, hope not for the A7r3….

Is it the reason that we don’t see the full RAW on the Sony’s ?

Yeah...problem

LR & scratch & dust filter in PS is a star eater, to bad, in my image of the Milk-way almost all stars disappeared as well

So no solution there

C1 : look in sharpening and noise reduction

Think that standard setting must be around 20, even if I go to 50 I don't see any problem ( stars stay in place and all the hot pixels disappear

So C1 is the solution only for me but can live with that