APS-C Lens Sony A6000

Hey alpha-Users!

I own an A6000. My Question is: If I buy the SEL1018F4, will the focal lenght 10-18mm be the effective focal lenght or will it be cropped so it would be 15-27mm?

Sorry for my bad english... :( Greets and alltime good light!

Yes indeed, but you must add FF (full-frame) equivalent.

If I buy the SEL1018F4, will the focal lenght 10-18mm be the effective focal lenght or will it be cropped so it would be 15-27mm?

The question and the answers can be misunderstood. What is meant with effective focal length?

On the A6000 there is no difference if you use E or FE lenses. You always have the focal length written on the lense. But if you compare with full frame cameras, the (crop) factor applies which is always 1.5.

+1.

"Effective FL" is BS.

This whole schtick of naming lenses by their

35mm FF equiv FOV is dumbast. A lens has

its FL. A camera has its format dimensions.

Various lenses have coverage for particular

format dimensions. T'was ever thus. Done.

`

Effective Focal Length isn't BS!

See, for example, Alternative method for measuring effective focal length of lenses using the front and back surface reflections from a reference plate. Do-Hyun Kim, Dexiu Shi, and Ilko K. Ilev

Applied Optics Vol. 50, Issue 26, pp. 5163-5168

It does seem to be a legitimate measure of a lens system.

But, yes, EFL doesn't relate to the OP's question. Try "On an A6000, using a 100mm focal length lens has an angle of view equivalent to using a 150mm focal length lens on a full frame sensor". Does that make more sense?

Being pragmatic it's often easier to accept that most photographers know what is meant when someone uses the phrase however!

Tim

[reference was simply the first I came across so nothing implied or intended by using it!]