Sony a6600 long recording creates split files

We just purchased the Sony a6600 and did a 40 min. recording with the below specs. The problem, the camera split the recording into 3 separate files each approx. 1.97 GB in size. Is there a way to have long recordings with just one file (40min to 50min long)? We need to upload to YouTube as one continuous recording.

-SD Card SanDisk Extreme Pro 128 GB, 170 MB/s formatted with exFAT but with the option to format to NTFS

Any help appreciated.

So the doc is telling you that it will ALWAYS split the recording into 2Gb files when in AVCHD.

My suggestion is either to not record in AVCHD, or find a program that can merge the video files into one file that fits your needs.

Yes, I think that is what we are asking as it relates to the Sony a6600. 1. What else can we record in other than AVCHD so we can go beyond the 2GB (e.g. 6 GB or more) and easily upload to YouTube? 2. What is a recommended program to quickly combine the individual files into 1 so we can upload the file to YouTube?

Thanks for any help. 

Does anyone else have any ideas?

Yes, I think that is what we are asking as it relates to the Sony a6600. 1. What else can we record in other than AVCHD so we can go beyond the 2GB (e.g. 6 GB or more) and easily upload to YouTube? 2. What is a recommended program to quickly combine the individual files into 1 so we can upload the file to YouTube?

Thanks for any help. 

Does anyone else have any ideas?

Thanks for any help.

• 9 months later...

Hi this just happened to me, usually it records in one big file. Some reason it split it this time. I record in xavc. However reading this forum I realised maybe the SD card I used (I forgot my main one and grabbed it out of one of my audio recorders) was formatted to FAT32. I'd say check your memory card is formatted to exFAT in order to be able to handle large file sizes. 

• 4 weeks later...

Because of the FAT/exFAT file system compatibility issue, not only Sony but also GoPro, Canon, DJI, etc. brand cameras, drone or camcorders will split video files into multiple clips during recording especially recording the long videos. To be more specific, the FAT32/exFAT file system prevents your DJI device from storing a single file larger than 4GB. That is to say, once your video size reaches 4GB, the FAT/exFAT file system will end the recording of the current segment and then immediately start a new one. The whole process goes with one and another, one and another, one and another... video clip until you stop the recording or your SD card uses up the storage. 
Luckily, even if the video is split up, there is no frame loss. As long as you have a continuous recording, you will get a seemless playback if you add the whole playlist to a video player or get a complete video recording after merging with a video merger software like WinX HD Video Converter Deluxe.