Camera Error

In the last couple of days, I've had probably a dozen times when shooting was interrupted by "Camera error".

I'm shooting macro with automated focus stacking, so this can blow 50-300 exposures and a lot of time each time it happens.

As error messages go, it's pretty vague.

Is it possible that my tube lens (from Wemacro) is causing the problem?  I wouldn't think so, since it doesn't have any electrical contacts at all, just a flange to mount to the body and then tubes plus the Raynox lens, with microscope objective at the end.

The errors seem to occur randomly, sometimes I make a full run (100-300 exposures) before a problem, and sometimes I get one or two.

I do notice the shutter sounds different when this occurs.

Sorry, I thought I said.   A77 (original) with a tube lens which does not have any electrical functions.

I'm also seeing the problem on other lenses, so I think lenses are ruled out as the source.

I've tried resetting from the menu, and the menu, movie, play reset.

I was running on Sony external power when the problem surfaced.  I could try battery, at the cost of hundreds more shutter cycles.

My shutter count is 28246 at the moment.

Edited by dbvanhorn

33 minutes ago, dbvanhorn said:

Sorry, I thought I said.   A77 (original) with a tube lens which does not have any electrical functions.

I'm also seeing the problem on other lenses, so I think lenses are ruled out as the source.

I've tried resetting from the menu, and the menu, movie, play reset.

I was running on Sony external power when the problem surfaced.  I could try battery, at the cost of hundreds more shutter cycles.

With a probability of 99%, this is a failure of the diaphragm motor unit in the camera.

UPD: also named "Aperture Motor Control Unit"

Edited by Makeev

1 minute ago, dbvanhorn said:

That sucks a lot.   <29k cycles.   Repair is likely not economical then, correct?

Only if a guarantee. Otherwise, this is usually 1/4 (1/3) of the cost of the new camera. But you can try to fix it yourself. Ordering a part with Aliexpress.