Out for a walk with the 24-240 FE for some real world shots.

Well ever since I received the 24-240 FE the weather has just sucked! Finally it was a nice enough day well a beautiful day in fact to go for a walk and take some pictures. All the playing with targets and testing will only get you so far but for me what really counts is how the lens performs doing what it is supposed to be doing. 

So with all that said I decided to take the A7II and the 24-240FE to Brazos Bend State Park early this morning and see what I could find to feed my passion and I did pretty well as the animals were very active. As a mater of fact some were a bit more active than I care for! Me and my wife as usual had a great time and walked about 6 miles.

Here is a link to the processed images, I have not done allot to them but add some sharpening, clarity and so on. Keep in mind this is not a lens pure test strait from raw but rather what kind of stuff I normally like to shoot. Actually I would be normally shooting with my Sony A-Mount systems with longer glass for wildlife but this was lots of fun and would be hopefully what I would be taking on a vacation or trip.

Here they are and oh yeah, I am not a professional photographer and don’t claim to be but I am always learning. 

https://www.flickr.com/photos/96135416@N06/sets/72157649287623154/

Ken

In my opinion is quite manageable. It´s heavy but not more than other zooms with smaller range. But...

I am quite impressed by what I see here. I bought my a7ii a few days ago and tested it an Munich. I did not manage to shoot sharp images with more than 200m.

My wife owns a Alpha 6000 with the 18-200 and we both tried to shoot a golden figure. She managed very good shots while my pics appear always fuzzy. I tried several different aperture-time combinations with different ISO - always AF. If you compare the a6000 shots with the a7ii the a6000 wins. Or is there any problem with the IBIS or the lens?

I would appreciate any suggestions.

The a7ii shots:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/gx01x7znc...ql0imGuxa?dl=0

The a6000 pics:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/t1ruojpdp...hT2wlkWza?dl=0

Thank you for your help!

I purchased this lens but was totally disappointed after two weeks use I returned it.  I thought I might have had a bad copy but after checking other sample images (see Steve Huff's blog) I became convinced the lens just isn't as sharp as I want (actually my Canon 55-250 $300 lens is much, much sharper).  Also the zoom mechanism is way too stiff for my use.

Received the lens yesterday and it is better as excepted. I was impressed with the sharpness at 240 mm.

Here is a quick picture I took yesterday. If hair is sharp it is sharp enough to me.

Will be using this lens a lot and I'm happy I can take this lens with me together with the 14mm Samyang on holiday.

Sony A7II  DSC0027